Contributor

Re: WORD TO THE WISE IF YOU HAVE A WASHING MACHINE

I usually dont buy warranties either but do know that Lowes will pay you back

If you don’t use the plan for a service call before expiration, they will give you 30% of the plan price back. You have 60 days after your plan expires to request this benefit.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

In the long run you will be better off without all the bells and whistles.  My whirlpool dryer has extra heavy, heavy and light load.  It has fluff dry , and knits. Thats about it.

the more electronic and computer programs on it, the more can go wrong.   With the washer I would like a few more options, but I dont need a lot of options.

when my jenn air oven went out I had to replace the whole computer panel.  Ugh

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used to poo-poo extended warranties and still do for some things. But man, we are surely grateful to have had purchased one a few years ago for a new dishwasher.

To make a very long and frustrating story as short as possible, the thing had problems from the get-go, including after the manufacturer's warranty expired. We eventually received a new one free of cost.

And guess what. The same thing happened and we still had time on our extended warranty. We received a second dishwasher free of charge.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm looking at the Whirlpool WTW5000DW, hauling it home ourselves and having a handyman hook it up for us. Husband can't hammer a nail and he's even gonna take off the LG clunker. Thank God for handyman he works reasonable, also.

Never really liked a washer without something to really move the clothes around seemed like they never got clean and just barely moved and this new HE liquid detergent doesn't suds. I need to get back to what I grew up with. This one will take HE detergent too, but, hopefully, it will  give 'em a twirl instead of just swishing couple of times.

They can keep their little Disney toon , too ! LOL

Honored Contributor

I just remembered that gold bracelet I sent back around Jan. arrived with broken clasp right out of box !

Don't people care any more about the stuff they make ?

Is everything planned obsolescence ?

I wouldn't take somebody a cake I made that fell and say here ya' go, enjoy don't mind that it's sunk in and raw.  Nobody has any pride in what they do any more. Depressing.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I never buy extended warranties or appliance insurance. The money I would spend on those services every month, I can put in my bank and have it there for when my appliance needs repair or replaced. Warranties or appliance insurance doesn't cover everything and sometimes you still have to pay extra, beyond what you paid for the warranty or insurance, to get an appliance fixed or replaced.

@SilleeMee 

it really depends on  what is covered and what is not. each policy may not work the same way.

we have had excellent service with our home appliance insurance that covers all appliances, plus water heater and ac/heat, plus plumbing/electrical.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We had no positive experience with a home warranty. We had a GE Monogram gas cooktop which died and I discovered the only replacements these warranties offer, if at all, is the lowest-priced, similar item on the market. They would allow us only $250 towards a replacement that was almost $2000.....am glad others have had better results that we did. I had an appliance repairman tell me that a refrigerator lifespan is 10 years....at the most. I remember the first fridge I bought...it was 20 years old when it died. I would rather pay for sturdy than fancy. That’s why I see no need for the fridge with the computer display on the door....just something else to break.
Honored Contributor

I have an ancient Kenmore freezer in my garage...as long as the light is still glowing on it I am keeping it. I bought it used from a neighbor 20 years ago for $10 because they were moving and didn’t want to take it with them....someone wanted to charge $35 to dispose of it at the junkyard....but it was still working just fine...best appliance ever.
Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I never buy extended warranties.

We looked into a whole home warranty, but a friend of mine has one and said that every time they went to use it, there were all sorts of exclusions.  So they wound up canceling it. 

Always remember dad telling me these are and always have been a cash cow for those companies.  BF had these on his washer/dryer.  The idiots sent someone out to diagnose the problem, told BF he'd order the parts and have them sent to his home and to call back and set up an appointment to have it repaired.  He did and was told that the first guy ordered the wrong part starting the whole cycle over again.  He was without a washer for 2 months till it was fixed.  

I never had these warranties and yet when I call someone locally I've always had it repaired in a few days.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

just got back from home products place and when asked do you want the warranty I hollered "H*ll no" ! guy laughed.   I'm not waiting for delivery either that's crazy.  I got a guy coming out at 10 to help us unload, install and take away the old one.

No flies on me.