Honored Contributor

Re: WORD TO THE WISE IF YOU HAVE A WASHING MACHINE

I just got off phone and they said at LG don't buy it thru your home stores buy it thru them and the one yr.'s manufacturers warranty would had been in place , plus the 5 yrs and I would had been ok since I bought it 4-9-2014

We just got took. Just like with our insurance company we turned in a claim for hail damage on roof and it got rejected because the adjustor said the original roof was installed "defective". claim denied, now , if we want a new roof guess who pays ? That insurance will be gone next yr. !

We can't cut a break !

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds strange that the extended warranty starts when u purchase an appliance - and not after the 1-year warranty.

Check with the credit card company that u charged the purchase on --- sometimes, they give u a 1-yr warranty.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

Oh doo doo!  I am really upset for you!  What a scam.  Seems like we all need law degrees these days to defend ourselves  .. My washer is the old maytag it is 32 years old, the dryer is older.  I could afford to buy a new set today, but everyone I know that had to buy a new set is so sad.  Dishwashers as well.  A repairman told me washers and dryers have a shelf life of 5 years.  He also looked at our ols kitchenaid dishwasher and said, do not get a new one unless it breaks down.  He said in the appliance repair business dishwashers are their bread and butter.  Usually they need repair within the first 6 months.

i might tell the place you bought it from your story nicely, let them know that the salesstaff should warn a customer of th policy.  Let them know you will be shopping elsewhere for a new one.  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

This is shown on Lowe's extended warranty page loud and clear.

PROTECTION PLAN COVERAGE PERIOD A product is typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty for one year. Your Lowe's Protection Plan coverage starts the day you receive your product and lasts up to five years.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Agree about home warranties.

Ours covers appliances, plumbing (including outside pipes) ac unit, etc.

The service call is only $75 and that is all we pay no matter the job.

They will also replace an appliance at today's cost for something comparable if the unit is completely dead.  Same cost.  If we want something more expensive, we pay the extra.

Not all extended warranties start at the day of puchsase; you have to ask questions if you decide to go that route instead.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

How is the Speed Queen?  Not to long ago on these forums many said they were made not as good.  I was thinking of SQ when i need a washer dryer

Honored Contributor

of course nobody can deliver for a week or 2 out. I found the cheapest Whirlpool I can get fully expecting to buy another one within a yr or 2

no contracts

no fancy bells and whistles

I'm going back to agitator too

no cute little music played at end of cycle and no digital 

Hopefully I can  get a handyman I use to hook it up for me. Not waiting 2wks for delivery either.

Getting a basic machine, sticking with one yr FREE manufacturers warranty and hang the rest.

I called the place that sold it (home appliance store that you get ads from every Sun.) and they said "somebody should had told U that the extended warranty picks up the day of purchase not after the one yr manufacturers has expired)   Yep, lady they should have !

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@sunshine45 

How is the Speed Queen?  Not to long ago on these forums many said they were made not as good.  I was thinking of SQ when i need a washer dryer

I called a place that has them and they were 1100 !

Not for me. 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@sunshine45 

so far so good @shoekitty.

i like that i can choose the water level OR it can be sensed if you prefer that.

both are very quiet.  i purchased a top loading washer with the matching dryer.

i got the TR7000WN.....seven year warranty......parts and labor.

it wasnt cheap, but i am hoping it is worth it in the long run.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I never buy extended warranties or appliance insurance. The money I would spend on those services every month, I can put in my bank and have it there for when my appliance needs repair or replaced. Warranties or appliance insurance doesn't cover everything and sometimes you still have to pay extra, beyond what you paid for the warranty or insurance, to get an appliance fixed or replaced.