Honored Contributor

WORD TO THE WISE IF YOU HAVE A WASHING MACHINE

[ Edited ]

or anticipate buying one in near future. Ask about this before purchasing a extended warranty .

The 5 yr extended warranty takes place on the day of purchase not after the one yr warranty that is the manufacturers warranty.

I found out the hard way today that the warranties are a trap. They don't tell you when you buy anything that it automatically cuts out the 1 yr. guarantee

your extended warranty starts the day U pay for the item.

Now, I have a 700 LG washer that the drum is broke and it would cost more

to fix it then it would be to buy a new one.

I bet I buy the cheapest machine I can find and just replace it every other yr instead of buying a top of the line machine and taking out for another 110 dollars a extended waranty just to find out it's expired.

Know this and don't make my mistake !

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: WORD TO THE WISE IF YOU HAVE A WASHING MACHINE

Stuff isn't built to last any more, so, it's best to just replace them as they break down which will probably only take no more then 2 yrs. don't waste money on worthless warranties that only benefits the people hawking them.

Honored Contributor

i dont buy extended warranties, mainly because i have a whole house appliance warranty that i pay for monthly.

recently purchased a speed queen washer and dryer that comes with a 7 year manufacturers warranty.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Extended warranties are a huge money maker for companies. You will most likely (note - I didn't say never) not need it thus you are just handing over money that could be saved for the purpose of buying a new appliance if necessary.

If it gives you peace of mind and you can afford it - go for it.

Super Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont buy extended warranties, mainly because i have a whole house appliance warranty that i pay for monthly.

recently purchased a speed queen washer and dryer that comes with a 7 year manufacturers warranty.

I am looking at a Speed Queen. They get good reviews.

Floral Pillow
Respected Contributor

After saying not to buy extended warranties I have to admit that we purchase a whole home warranty every year covering all appliances. If it were up to me I wouldn't buy it but DH likes this sort of thing and the expense is pretty minimal.

Our 16 yr old washer broke down last month and after determining that it couldn't be fixed the warranty company allowed us $500 toward the purchase of a new washer. Pretty good considering that's what we paid for the old one 16 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s the same with a Toyota. We were going to get the warranty for 5 years plus the three they were offering we were happy 8 years then the women said no you only get the 5. I said why should I pay for three years when your giving it with the car?? Didn’t buy it. 

Honored Contributor

@RhondaRena wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

I am looking at a Speed Queen. They get good reviews.

@RhondaRena 

have had them about 7 months so far. LOVE how quiet they are.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I never buy extended warranties.

We looked into a whole home warranty, but a friend of mine has one and said that every time they went to use it, there were all sorts of exclusions.  So they wound up canceling it. 

Honored Contributor

We have never and don't expect to ever purchase an extended warranty.  There is too much "fine print" IMO to make it worthwhile.