Super Contributor

Re: WOMAN WHO AIDED PRISONERS' ESCAPE HAS BEEN RELEASED FROM JAIL

The only person that I recall that had to serve every single day of his sentence was Robert Chamberlain. He was the guy that strangled a former girlfriend in Central Park in NYC. He was absolutely irredeemable. He got out and didn't have to report to  probation/parole because he had served every day of his sentence. He got out and got into trouble again and is now back in prison for selling drugs. Loser.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird...as long as we're citing the New York Post, let's stick with news ACCOUNTS, instead of EDITORIALS...okay?

Every day, there's another article about the failure of this recent bail reform law, and its effect on law-abiding citizens. Here's just one:

https://www.nypost.com/2020/02/02/brooklyn-rape-suspect-was-free-under-nys-new-bail-reform-law/amp/

@AlisonWonderland, I hate to sound like John McEnroe, but you've GOT to be kidding me. One of the factors in Mitchell's release should have been both of the the escapees' grisly past crimes--not the fact that either one didn't get the CHANCE to murder and dismember anyone this time around.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope her husband ,if still married to the low life, has some smarts.They had planned to kill him.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@songbird...as long as we're citing the New York Post, let's stick with news ACCOUNTS, instead of EDITORIALS...okay?

Every day, there's another article about the failure of this recent bail reform law, and its effect on law-abiding citizens. Here's just one:

https://www.nypost.com/2020/02/02/brooklyn-rape-suspect-was-free-under-nys-new-bail-reform-law/amp/

@AlisonWonderland, I hate to sound like John McEnroe, but you've GOT to be kidding me. One of the factors in Mitchell's release should have been both of the the escapees' grisly past crimes--not the fact that either one didn't get the CHANCE to murder and dismember anyone this time around.

I read your link, @Moonlady .  I think you might have missed this part:

Arjun Tyler, 20 — who was arrested Friday in the brutal attack on a 31-year-old woman at the 95th Street station in Bay Ridge on Jan. 27 — had been jailed awaiting trial since December 2018 on a Brooklyn burglary arrest, court records show.

But the records show he was released Dec. 19, less than two weeks before the reforms took effect Jan. 1, preventing pre-trial detention for suspects in most misdemeanor and non-violent felony cases.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:

Arjun Tyler, 20 — who was arrested Friday in the brutal attack on a 31-year-old woman at the 95th Street station in Bay Ridge on Jan. 27 — had been jailed awaiting trial since December 2018 on a Brooklyn burglary arrest, court records show.

But the records show he was released Dec. 19, less than two weeks before the reforms took effect Jan. 1, preventing pre-trial detention for suspects in most misdemeanor and non-violent felony cases.

Oh those pesky facts again!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:

Oh those pesky facts again!

So I'm not totally sure who is arguing with who here but I just want to clear something up is I'm reading the isagreement right.

They did start releasing people earlier than Jan 1 because as of Jan 1 they had to be released. That means trying to process a whole bunch of people on one day which would be problematic.

Also I have issues with this law but I think the reporting has been very bad and not totally clear and even I was a bit too caught up with it. That being said at the time this guy was sitting in jail because he couln't pay bail and he was there for a year and still hadn't gone to trial. That's pretty outrageous. And paying bail doesn't mean they wont do something when they're out.

Again bail isn't supposed to be a punishment. It's supposed to encourage you to show up for court. This guys case is why the did bail reform. A year sitting in jail for a trial but if he'd been from a family that could pay his bail he could sit around at home.