Honored Contributor

Re: WOMAN WHO AIDED PRISONERS' ESCAPE HAS BEEN RELEASED FROM JAIL

There are now laws being passed saying you can’t even require someone to make bail, regardless of how small the amount...because it is discriminatory towards the poor. They are arrested and then allowed to leave, but must show up for trial or hearing at the appointed time.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell, I do remember the murder Jean Harris was convicted of - seems like that was in the 50s. You've made me curious, so I need to do a little research on that because it was such a high profile case at the time. I wonder if the outcome might have been different now given advances in crime scene investigations and DNA.

As for Joyce Mitchell, her life will never be the same after her involvement with helping those prisoners escape.

Edited: had to make a few corrections....it wasn't the 'Hightower' murder and it couldn't have been in the 50s. I'll be looking that one up for sure! Sorry for the errors.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Escape at Danemora

SHOWTIME series

Paul Dano 

Benecio del Toro

PATRICIA ARQUETTE HeartSmiley Very Happy

Wonderful, unforgettable series!  VERY deserving of all the awards it has won.   (They were very frisky in that jail.)

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   FYI, there was a mini-series on either HBO or Showtime that was very good.  Search for it if you have those premium services.  It was interesting to say the least.  Tillie, as she was called, was something else.  Her character was played by Patricia Arkett.  Sorry for incorrect spelling of her last name.

Honored Contributor

In the case of Joyce Mitchell, I think it's possible to acknowledge the pitiableness of her life, (and the low likelihood of a repeat offense of this type),  and still have questions about the length or lack thereof, of punishment.

She struck me at the time as someone who could have been clinically depressed, and maybe hopeless and desperate about her circumstances.  The suggestion of more rigorous screening, testing, and training of prison employees is a good one.

Nevertheless, she essentially set free two convicted murderers, through the position of trust she held as a prison tailor/seamstress.  That act could well have resulted in those men committing more murders once free.  Society has a strong interest in rebuking and discouraging those in a postion of trust vis a vis dangerous individuals.  Length of incarceration is one tool for doing so, I believe.

@jannabelle1,  I'm so glad you picked up on the Jean Harris reference!   That case occurred in the early Eighties, and became a "cause celebre".   Many books were written about it, but the best (by far) was a treatment called "Mrs. Harris" by the celebrated writer and intellectual Diana Trilling.  It is penetrating, and uniquely insightful, but best of all, it is a fabulous read!  Highly recommend!

Thanks so much to those in thread who've tipped us off to the movie(s) about the Dannemora escape!  

Valued Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I recall it well. IMO she should have gotten more than 5 years! And she should have had to serve every last day of it.

I would agree if anyone innocent had been hurt or killed by the escaped convicts, but the only people injured due to the escape were the convicts themselves. One was shot and killed and one was shot, recovered, and sent back to prison.

She cost the government a lot of money with that search operation and she only costs more money in room and board while she's in prison.

She's not going back to her corrections job and won't have any chance to help other prisoners escape. She's going to be on community supervision until 2022. They'd be better off using her for public service and having her speak to other corrections officers about the dangers of getting too close to inmates and the consequences of poor decisions the way some drunk drivers and drug offenders speak to school kids.

@Alison Wonderland  Wow what a great idea! If only they would utilize her in that manner, but sadly I'm sure they won't b/c that would be actually "educating" others. I have long believed that they don't want ALL crimes to go away then none of them would have jobs right? JMO 

I also agree with the other poster (I think suzy) that said people with more severe crimes are the ones who should be in prison. For instance, I don't think drug offenders being in prison is doing anyone any good. They need SUPPORT, they need GUIDANCE, they definitely don't need to be thrown in a cell and essentially forgotton about, b/c when they do get released they are still an addict, at least with support, life skills, accountability, etc they would be better equipped to handle LIFE as it is known. Sorry, these are my opinions only and I feel very strongly about it being an addict myself. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know how long she worked for the corrections department? Knowing NY she could be collecting a pension after all of this.

Valued Contributor

She was and is a piece of garbage and should still be in jail.  Her actions were so disgusting and enabling two ruthless men to escape should warrent many more years in confinement.

Gee, do you think the husband she cheated on will welcome her back?

Anyone whose loved ones are in law enforcement recognizes the dangers she imposed on everyone, including neighbors of the jail who feared for their lives, while these evil men were on the run.

Have you ever lived in a lock-down situation?  Not pleasant.

Justice was not served.

Respected Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I recall it well. IMO she should have gotten more than 5 years! And she should have had to serve every last day of it.

I would agree if anyone innocent had been hurt or killed by the escaped convicts, but the only people injured due to the escape were the convicts themselves. One was shot and killed and one was shot, recovered, and sent back to prison.

She cost the government a lot of money with that search operation and she only costs more money in room and board while she's in prison.

She's not going back to her corrections job and won't have any chance to help other prisoners escape. She's going to be on community supervision until 2022. They'd be better off using her for public service and having her speak to other corrections officers about the dangers of getting too close to inmates and the consequences of poor decisions the way some drunk drivers and drug offenders speak to school kids.

@Alison Wonderland  Wow what a great idea! If only they would utilize her in that manner, but sadly I'm sure they won't b/c that would be actually "educating" others. I have long believed that they don't want ALL crimes to go away then none of them would have jobs right? JMO 

I also agree with the other poster (I think suzy) that said people with more severe crimes are the ones who should be in prison. For instance, I don't think drug offenders being in prison is doing anyone any good. They need SUPPORT, they need GUIDANCE, they definitely don't need to be thrown in a cell and essentially forgotton about, b/c when they do get released they are still an addict, at least with support, life skills, accountability, etc they would be better equipped to handle LIFE as it is known. Sorry, these are my opinions only and I feel very strongly about it being an addict myself. 

I agree, @BrandiDavis. A Texas court just convicted a police officer of raping a woman after he met when she called the police for help when her boyfriend was abusive. He was sentenced this week - 10 years of probation.

Our prisons are filled with addicts and the mentally ill who need treatment while we're letting rapists and domestic abusers back on the streets. It's shameful.

Honored Contributor

I remember that, it was disgrace that she only 5 years and a disgrace that they are letting her out early.  Although, apparently they all get out of prison early now.  If she had been a man or a person of color, the judge would have given her 10 or 15 years.