Respected Contributor

Re: WOMAN WHO AIDED PRISONERS' ESCAPE HAS BEEN RELEASED FROM JAIL

@magicmoodz wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 the other side of the coin is are you aware that over 450,000 people are being incarcerated  in U.S. without having a trial because they can't afford to make bail or hire a high powered attorney for months or even years?

A person might remain in jail for not being able to make bail, but they don't lose their right to a trial. They will be afforded a public defender.

And if that person was innocent of the crime he/she was charged with, they still are held for months or years without receiving justice. How many public defenders are even capable of representing a client adequately?   Am I missing something here?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I think one was killed and one was returned to prison.

Super Contributor

I remember this very well every day 23 they were on the lam.  I was reading, and watching news to see if they were captured or if the police seemed any closer to catching them. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, Ms. Mitchell broke the law and created a mell-of-a-hess. But, this type of antisocial perpetrator can identify a vulnerable target at 100 yards. Once they have a target, they can be storybook charming, while indoctrinating the victim with the need to rescue them.  They are masters at the game. 

She was obviously a person who needed to feel special to someone -- anyone, in this case, throwing boundaries to the wind. She had behaviors that reminded me somewhat of Mama June, who has fallen for charming criminals, more than once.   

I don't know if it would have helped, but I think those working in such an environment need counseling, education and perhaps even psychological testing for mental fitness for that milieu. You can't let your guard down for a second.   

I imagine she was released early because the authorities could see that she was a bit of a submissive dingbat, not exactly Bonnie looking for Clyde.   

Trusted Contributor

@gramgrandkids1 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN  I think one was killed and one was returned to prison.

Yes this is right. I only remember because the one that survived ended up in the hospital here.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 the other side of the coin is are you aware that over 450,000 people are being incarcerated  in U.S. without having a trial because they can't afford to make bail or hire a high powered attorney for months or even years?

A person might remain in jail for not being able to make bail, but they don't lose their right to a trial. They will be afforded a public defender.

And if that person was innocent of the crime he/she was charged with, they still are held for months or years without receiving justice. How many public defenders are even capable of representing a client adequately?   Am I missing something here?

Yes you are missing the fact that I simply responded to your untrue statement "over 450,000 people are being incarcerated in the US without having a trial because they can't afford to make bail..."

Nothing more, nothing less. 

Honored Contributor

I remember this case.  If she has done her time and the prison officials consider her low risk, I can understand why she is now eligible for release.  

Trusted Contributor

Just to add here she served what is normal for federal prison as discussed before in the threads about the college scandals. She got 2 1/2 to 7. Right now she's at 2/3 of the seven years which is normal as long as you behaved in prison. And I'd assume that judges factor that in when they sentence.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RoughDraft ...I don't doubt that for a minute and find it troublesome.  There probably are way too many people behind bars who shouldn't be, so how does that get corrected, or does it ever?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Apparently Joyce Mitchell has been released, after four years in jail.  She was the prison tailor who famously helped two prisoners escape from Dannemora Prison in upstate New York, by smuggling them tools.

There was so much reportage and speculation at the time.  I remember being fascinated by the case since it was so classically a real-life plot that you would find in film noir--  married woman forms "romantic" liaison in the prison where she works, and facilitates a dramatic escape, in hopes of a life with the criminal she is aiding.

I didn't know until reading it today that at least one movie ("Lifetime", perchance?) had been made about it! 

A very sad, sordid episode indeed.

"Escape at Dannemora" on Showtime was one movie.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky