Esteemed Contributor

Re: WITH THE UNFORTUNATE TOPIC OF PASSING ON ...

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips 

Funny you should say this. Since I'm all that is left in my family  immediate and others i cannot ask any of the 1000 questions i wish I had asked years ago.

I'm old (82) now and have many thoughts, memories and of course too many questions with noone to answer them .

I keep telling my kids to ask NOW ,before it is too late!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NOTE:  The response below is harsh.  I am sorry and my heart goes out to everyone for the people we have lost.  I've lost birth family all but one who has dementia and is in lockdown far away now.

I guess since I'm the last I have to have this attitude or I couldn't go on.  I've closed homes, sold off stuff, struggled to pay for them, and buried them.  So sometimes I don't have much left and I have no choice but to leave sentiment alone. And I have a wonderful life now.  But If you still are surrounded by family, God bless you and enjoy every moment!  End of note, apology, explanation, whatever:

If you didn't ask, it's not important now so let it go and forget about it.

Last of my family and it is what it is. I would fret about it and think about it or think about today and who I can call or what I can read or what to cook for dinner.  

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  .....  I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother. Please accept my dearest sympathies. I am glad you have your mother's bible and especially happy there was a letter from your mother with the family history roots. To me that is a special gift from your mother. To have thought of sharing this information with her family lets me know how special a person she was. Family trees mean a lot to me and I have spent years tracking down mine. 

Honored Contributor

My mom had an aunt who worked in the homes of incredibly wealthy paper barons from 1905 to 1950. I'd loved to have heard stories of parties, holidays and weddings held in those mansions. My honest question would be "wasn't it hard to come and live in our old farmhouse?"

Honored Contributor

I would ask my son, did you feel any pain, when the embolus, hit your organs? this has haunted me since 1998.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Great question. I don't know any specific question I would have asked my mom. As some here know, I lost my mom to Covid 19 back on April 28 th. I have a bible of her's that her sister gave her and in the bible was a 2 page letter my mom wrote back in 1994 giving a history of her mom and dad's family roots. She stated it was so her children would know all about where the family came from. That answers all the questions I might have had.

@Goodie2shoes How wonderful to have that letter.  I would make a zillion copies and give it to everyone in the family, and stash copies with all sorts of other documents.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would ask my son, did you feel any pain, when the embolus, hit your organs? this has haunted me since 1998.

@goldensrbest So sorry about your son.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

When I was growing up we weren't privy to adult conversations and were kept in the dark as to any serious issues going on among adults.  We didn't care because we were too busy being kids and teens and having fun.

However, the down side of being kept innocent was that we now wish we knew so much more. There are many unanswered questions and yes, I wish I knew more about family members, our family's heritage and history. 

My grandparent's, parents, aunts and uncles have passed and we are the next generation. We wish we had them here to ask those questions we didn't ask.

Esteemed Contributor

I would ask my 38 year old mother (the last time I saw her) how she was so brave. Cancer took her after 4 children and a 20 year marriage. Her first child died of German measles; 6 months old. Mom was sick for years but continued to work as a supervisor for a telephone company. Dad lived through some lay offs with major airline and mom knew her salary and benefits came in handy. And she needed reliable insurance for health issues. Mom didn't make day-to-day life about her. She worked at the telephone company until the end because she wanted her family to have life insurance. She was brave, kind and beautiful. At her young age, how was she so brave?     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I want them to tell me what Heaven is like.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York