Honored Contributor

WINTER OLYMPIC GRACE FEBRUARY 5

On this day, February 5, 1924, the very first Winter Olympics wound up in Chamonix, France.

1st-winter-olympics.jpg

Isn't that fabulous?

I have a special fondness for photos from the Twenties (the NINETEEN twenties, ha).  Not sure why-- must have to do with my youthful fascination with Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald and the Murphys, etc. in Paris in that period.  It was super fun when my sister found an old cracked photo of my mother's family's old general store interior from the mid-Twenties.  Dark, lots of stacked cans and white aprons, etc.  A far cry from today's over-lit supermarkets!  I have older ones than that, but it still nestled in my heart.

Wiki had a picture of the official poster for that 1924 Olympics.  It's so strong, graphic and interestingly modern-looking:

Respected Contributor

Re: WINTER OLYMPIC GRACE FEBRUARY 5

you found quite an interesting vintage photo too.  glad you mentioned the subject or i might have missed it!  @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

What I enjoy about yours, @ms traditional ,  is that glimpse of the King, doing his job in his usual dutiful fashion.  He had his personal struggles, but was a fine King, with a quiet, unassuming, stoic quality. 

Respected Contributor

I love looking at vintage pictures of practically everything!!

Nice picture. Of course no protective helmets back then. Or protective clothing. Or protective eyewear.

The sport has really changed over the years. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I wasn't thinking of that, @lmt ,  but so true.  Definitely more dangerous back then, but somehow that lack of any safety equipment makes for a more "pure" picture of seemingly effortless flight....