Honored Contributor

Re: WHY do you think............re: prison

I think there are multiple reasons. Too many to even attempt to list.

Honored Contributor

They return because, amongst other things, the system allows for it to happen...simple as that. To me it appears that the whole DOJ system is a cash cow, making money in all aspects of it and perpetuating the vicious cycle over and and over again.

Esteemed Contributor

Unless you know someone who is willing to take a chance with an ex felon, it's hard to get a job.  Jobs are scarce and with a record, even harder. 

Honored Contributor

Lack of LIFE SKILLS and lack of opportunity to make a living.   

Have any of you seen the Animal Planet show PIT BULLS AND PAROLEES ?

This woman has combined a business of pit bull rescue with a work program for parolees.  (Her husband was in jail and couldn't get work when he got out and ended up back in prison.  Now, she gives paroleed a real chance to get their feet on the ground with good honest work.)

This show has been on since 2009 and after watching a few episodes must say I had no idea how extremely difficult it was for someone leaving prison to find a job!  

I now think many parolees find it impossible to get work ....  so what do you think will eventually happen to them?  

Common sense will tell you they need job skills AND programs that will take them and get them back into society, able to support themselves .... or the taxpayers will end up supporting them ... again.

Esteemed Contributor

My reply is based on experience with real prisoners, not TV writer's imaginations or popular political stances.

• Criminals DO continue plotting their criminal activity after they're arrested and during incarceration. 
  • They DO continue conducting 'business' thru associates on the outside who are their eyes and ears, and who do their bidding, effectively commiting additional crimes while serving time.
  • They DO use their phones to maintain criminal connections, and further threaten their victims, families of victims, and attempt wittness tampering and other perversions of justice.
  • They DO have opportunities to reflect on their life choices, engage in counseling and receive guidance and support from various professionals, and exercise FREE WILL to make real changes in their lives, should they wish to do so.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Not everyone in prison is a career criminal with no education. That doesn't change the fact that society in general writes off anyone with a prison record. They need to be able to survive until enough time has passed that they don't have to report it on job applications. A lot of people wouldn't end up back in prison if their record didn't hold them back from succeeding once they got out. As a society we need to be willing to give people the chance to support themselves and get on with their life when they get out. 

We live in the most lenient times ever giving people a chance to change their lives for the better.  You cannot change true criminals.  Repeat offenders.  These are not people who just messed up once in their immature youth.  They are pure evil.  Whether it's mental illness, or someone on a path of destruction, most of us don't want that element among us.  Would you feel comfortable living next door to a sex offender if you were raising a young girl?  I wouldn't. 

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Not everyone in prison is a career criminal with no education. That doesn't change the fact that society in general writes off anyone with a prison record. They need to be able to survive until enough time has passed that they don't have to report it on job applications. A lot of people wouldn't end up back in prison if their record didn't hold them back from succeeding once they got out. As a society we need to be willing to give people the chance to support themselves and get on with their life when they get out. 

We live in the most lenient times ever giving people a chance to change their lives for the better.  You cannot change true criminals.  Repeat offenders.  These are not people who just messed up once in their immature youth.  They are pure evil.  Whether it's mental illness, or someone on a path of destruction, most of us don't want that element among us.  Would you feel comfortable living next door to a sex offender if you were raising a young girl?  I wouldn't. 

You're the one that's focusing on sex offenders and repeat offenders. That is not everyone that's been in prison. Your version of lenient and mine clearly don't match. It's not lenient when someone has served their time yet can't get a legit job even with ample previous verifiable work experience because people refuse to give them a chance. That's the reality for some people. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

it's FREE (taxpayers pay) to live in prison - 3 meals, clothes, housing, medical & education!!!!  Of course, the rate is high because when they return to "real life" it's easier to continue their old habits vs. finding a job with a record.

I saw many returnees & family members follow in their family footsteps during my tenure at Corrections!  

Sadly, it's the norm very few success stories I'm aware of.

I agree. And inside is a whole society unto itself, and many find the 'success' there that they don't out in the streets. It becomes what they know. It is easier than the world outside where they can't find work, keep work, stay clean.

They don't get control of their addictions, they as a rule, have no or little education or training for work outside. If they find jobs, they don't pay enough to live or support any habits or their families.

It's a cycle of life that many grew up in (parents in prison). 

It's like a lot of other things in life, really a lot harder for some people without the right resources (and most people who end up in the system don't have the resources of education, treatment etc.) to achieve, so they simply fall back on what is easy/known/comfortable.

Respected Contributor

I think the high recidivism rate is due to the following:

1. There is not a lot of rehabilitation, drug, alcohol and life skill training in prison.

2. We set the prisoners up for failure. Once a felon it is very difficult to obtain employment. How does society expect someone to be a good citizen when they cannot make a living?

3. There is not much social support for the prisoners, once they are out. 

Respected Contributor

My niece has been jail\prison 5 times, she is 38 and has 3 kids by 2 different men. Her last crime sent her to prison for a 11/2years for stesling,and robbing a car when a driver picked them up hitchhiking.
When the driver was in the car, the stopped at a gas station and my niece held her at knife point while her robbed the station. The were both high on CRYSTSL METH (3rd time caught high on meth)Well my niece said her boyfriend made her do it and the boyfriend saif my niece mad him do it. The lady was of no help because she was scared out of her wits and couldn't recall who did it. Since it was a simple case ot was just heard by a judge who gave my niece 2years,
Well the thought of not seeing her daughter until she was.3 REALLY motivated her. She took everything the prison offered,.she got a job sewing prison garments and it paid 39 credits a week on her pantry page. She also volunteerd for prison laundry, with good behavior she got out in 3 months early, then sent to a SLE (sober living environment) and helped her find a job,
INCENTIVE to.see her daughter helped her, She learned how to sew.
She volunteered to work, she wanted no trouble. I think those thingsvhelp speed up there jail time. My nieces hardest part will be staying off meth. It makes people do stupid, crazy-dumb things
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18