Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHY do you think............re: prison

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze, that is crazy and it's too bad your brother didn't stay out trouble after your ex took the time and effort to help him. I think people just remember the things that are convenient a lot of the time.

I have a distant cousin who is a regular at getting arrested for drugs. The last time I saw him, he told me he was getting his life together and was done with all that. I think at the time he meant it, but unfortunately it wasn't long before he got in trouble again.

Respected Contributor

I should think it's obvious why.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@makena wrote:

I should think it's obvious why.

What's obvious? @makena

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

It is oft said that the only thing prison does for one is to make them become a better con.

Honored Contributor

They need to be educated in prison, without an education they cannot get a job. Try getting any kind of job when you have been incarcerated if you only have a  high school education. Of course many need counseling and drug rehab. 

Honored Contributor

Vocational skills should be taught, as well as GED and college classes, and employers should receive an incentive to hire ex-prisoners when appropriate.  Prisons should not be run by for-profit, private companies.

Trusted Contributor

Tansy, your comment about for-profit prison is an important one. To others that have responded, I appreciate all of the thoughtful comments that offer solutions!

Honored Contributor

^^^^^^^^^^  All of the above plus my thoughts.    When you see someone go to jail for say, theft.   They are a thief.    It's not what they do, it's who they are.    That just happens to be the time they got caught.    So when they get out, they are going to do what they are that is, be a thief.    There are people who have no rules.   If they see something they want, they don't care that someone else worked hard to make the money to buy it.  The thief wants it.   No self control.

I do believe it is partly their raising and a brain disorder as well.  You know a "black sheep".   The entire family can be wonderful people, always doing the right thing, helping others, contributing to society and then there's that black sheep.   Just can't follow rules.

Valued Contributor

Prison life is actually structured. You eat, sleep, exercise, work when you are told to. For some, it may be the first time in their life that they actually have structure. Prison rules have their own hierarchy also, their own social structure. For some, when they get out of prison, they can't deal with the lack of structure and they get into trouble. I saw a documentary a long while back and one guy said he's just more comfortable in prision bcz he knew the rules. When he got out, there was, for lack of a better phrase, too many choices and he ended up in confusion.

It's more complicated than this one explanation, and there are other reasons posters have mentioned...lack of support, role models, etc...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

They often return to the same toxic friends and environment that wrongly influenced them to be criminals the first time.