Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper  I really feel the hosts are falling short in many of those departments. The ear piece confuses them & many times they stop talking to ask the produces to tell them the numbers again. Do we care how many have been sold? Influence our decision to purchase? 

As as far as reeling in vendors from going off on tangents? The hosts are more quilty of that than vendors. 

Attending sales meetings and discussing goals? How's that working positively for Q? Hosts do not make those decisions, management does. 

Easy pay options and other buyer's info can scroll across the bottom, but it's always shown w/ the item number and price.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus then are you suggesting we have no hosts and just vendors????  I don't think it would work well that way.  There has to be both.  If you have neither, what's the point of a shopping channel.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What is going on with these huge fonts all of a sudden?

Ya'll are blinding me! 

I apologize.

Respected Contributor

I don't think there needs to be a vendor for every single product.  The hosts should have enough product knowledge to present anything.  They don't need to entertain us...

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva. When I began posting, someone pointed out it was called "shouting".

Honored Contributor

Some hosts don't do a good job of explaining their products.  Some are great and some ar awful at it.  There are "talking" points that the various shopping channels want mentioned in the presentation and that is the role of the show host.  There's often a lag of 1-2 years between the time the fashion or jewelry designer designs something and the finished product makes it to a program.  They barely remember any of the details.  Also many of the fashion designers buy their items from wholesalers and again, with the 1 year lag time, they don't always remember the details.  The host has that information. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva. Someone mentioned the other day that these long presentations were way too long. HSN divides some beauty shows into half hour spots.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Lipstickdiva. When I began posting, someone pointed out it was called "shouting".

"Shouting" is all in caps.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

You must be kidding.    The host (David in particular) directs the camera person  for closeup shots - makes sure he and vendor stand in range of camera - many of the food vendors are young women who have never been on TV before - and when they stall out on what to say - the host picks up the lag.   There's a lot more than just blah blah blah.

This. The host is a facilitator. Look at an aggressive vendor, like Susan Graver, who gets caught up in details and doesn't ever update you on things you need to know.

And not all shows or items have vendors with the hosts. Each new vendor has to go to training to learn how to present new items and you can tell when a vendor is new and the hosts have to help out more.

Vendors cannot simply replace hosts and, frankly, if you're not seeing the value the hosts add, that's because they're doing their jobs so well that you don't even notice how much they're doing.

Honored Contributor

Re: WHY HAVE HOSTS AT ALL

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What is going on with these huge fonts all of a sudden?

Ya'll are blinding me! 

I apologize.

ETA:

When someone types in all caps such as:

WHY HAVE HOSTS AT ALL

Seems to me they are yelling.

Then when someone responds to my post with enlarged letters:

Bad day--huh?  blah blah blah

They are yelling at me.

So, in defense, I'm yelling louder back at her.