Respected Contributor

Re: WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TO SLEEP?

When I was still working I could not think of anything more wonderful than getting a nap in the afternoon (it didn't happen very often on a weekend).  I always felt rejuvenated and I was looking forward to lots of naps when I retired. 

It doesn't work though.  If I do take a nap I have a hard time sleeping at night.  So, I just don't nap anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I can't nap either.  It's not restful to me.  My mind is constantly racing.  

I'm so tired at night, that I can't help but fall asleep.  

Honored Contributor

I know sleep is necessary but imagine if you didn't need it at all. That would mean you would have sooOOO much more time to do stuff and not have to worry about running out of time to do it.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Sleep is restorative and healing. If you don't have it I think you might die

@cherry, I don't know if you'd die without sleep.  You'd definitely have some sort of physical and mental effects from not sleeping.  

I don't know how long the brain can resist the urge to sleep...

Esteemed Contributor

When I run out of energy or I am stressed a nap always helps me. I feel sorry for  people who have insomnia.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say that I like to sleep, I must sleep to survive. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I sleep because my body needs it to repair and restore itself. I never nap during the day. It may work for some people, but it interferes with my ability to sleep at night. If I feel myself beginning to drift off during the day, I get up and get moving. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Sometimes when I get up extra early, I take a nap in the afternoon. I feel so refreshed, and sometimes my sleep feels better than at night in my bed. What a change from my working days when I was up at 4:45 every morning.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Humans are predators and of course they need sleep.  They can choose not to sleep, but they need it and eventually they will sleep.  

Honored Contributor

For me, it's not a matter of "liking to sleep."  I have to do it!

You see, when I was a kid, I didn't like taking naps, so I have hours and hours of nap time to use up before they expire when I die.

So - every afternoon, I have a nap time!