Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,208
Registered: ‎04-27-2015

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison


@winamac1 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Yes, and the clerks are soooo very nice!  Cheerful!  Clerks wandering around, asking if everything is ok and if we need help finding something, etc.  (Very happy face)


ITA

TJ's hires super nice people .  Whole Foods' clerks are super nice too ,but I won't pay their prices.  Ridiculously overpriced!  


 100% agree.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,546
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

Last week at Trader Joe's I bought the most delicious spinach and kale Greek yogurt dip. It's from the reduced guilt line because it's low in calories and fat. I think it's 30 calories for 2 tablespoons which is really good. I put it on the pita crackers they sell and it tasted so refreshing. I also got the a log of goat cheese covered with wild blueberries that is so good I have to make myself stop eating it. At Christmas they sell one covered with apples and cinnamon. I do at least half my shopping there for many of the reasons listed in this thread--quality, variety, price and the people are awesome. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,208
Registered: ‎04-27-2015

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison


@SusieQ_2 wrote:

Last week at Trader Joe's I bought the most delicious spinach and kale Greek yogurt dip. It's from the reduced guilt line because it's low in calories and fat. I think it's 30 calories for 2 tablespoons which is really good. I put it on the pita crackers they sell and it tasted so refreshing. I also got the a log of goat cheese covered with wild blueberries that is so good I have to make myself stop eating it. At Christmas they sell one covered with apples and cinnamon. I do at least half my shopping there for many of the reasons listed in this thread--quality, variety, price and the people are awesome. 


 I buy that dip often. It's delicious!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

[ Edited ]

My daughter likes their 3 ginger gingersnap cookies.  They are one of the store's best sellers and have little candied ginger pieces in them.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,287
Registered: ‎01-24-2013

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

LOVE TJ's. There isn't a WF anywhere near where we live or have lived.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

[ Edited ]

@JAXS mom wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

I went shopping today at Whole Foods and the only item on the slide show that I bought was the apple sauce.  It was not $2.99 but $2.69 which was 10 cents less than what TJs supposedly charges.  For some foods I prefer Sprouts where soups, cereal, peanuts, crackers are less than the Whole Foods.  Sprouts is a nice sized store not some small cramped little place like TJs where you constantly bump into someone.  

 

Interesting fact, in the last 20+ years that I've lived here, the stores on both sides of TJs were vacant more than once and they could have expanded  their business to make it easier on everyone....the number one complaint is too cramped and no salad bar and a lot of other amenities but no they never made the store bigger.  I will not go there and be jostled around and then have to wait in line forever in a narrow checkout lane.  Sprouts and Whole Foods are so much better.   

 

 


You know that's the case in every one I've been in, in more than one state. They are always cramped and it's a PITA to get around in it. Plus the parking lot is always tiny too. And I don't mean they are packed with customers, although sometimes they are really busy. It's just trying to cram too much stuff in too small a space and they always seem to be located in a tiny strip mall. 


 

And my experience is the exact opposite.  I've never seen a cramped or tiny TJ's, and all the ones I've seen have very large parking lots.  TJ's is easily one of the most pleasant places to shop, IMO.  I love their seasonal things, but I find my favorite year-round items there all the time.  Someone posted above that "when it's gone, it's gone", but that's not true.  There are lots of things I buy over & over all the time.  For years.  I've never had to wait on a long line, at most one person ahead of me, but often not even that.  Aisles aren't crowded, people (both customers & employees) just seem happy and nice there.  I love walking up and down the aisles to find my favorites and see what's new, and it seems that lots of others enjoy doing that too.

 

And I buy lots of staples there.  Not paper goods, but food staples.  All the time.  They do have paper goods though.

 

I go to Whole Foods occasionally also, but find that they are almost always very over-priced.  And the people who work there tend to be indifferent compared to the folks who work at TJ's.  Entirely different experience.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,738
Registered: ‎03-15-2011

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

While Whole Foods has a bigger variety, it also costs more. I prefer Trader Joes. It has everything I need and like and is cheaper then WF. Plus I find the people who work at TJ more friendly and helpful the WF.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison


@italia8140 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Yes, and the clerks are soooo very nice!  Cheerful!  Clerks wandering around, asking if everything is ok and if we need help finding something, etc.  (Very happy face)


ITA

TJ's hires super nice people .  Whole Foods' clerks are super nice too ,but I won't pay their prices.  Ridiculously overpriced!  


 100% agree.


 

 

I only buy loss leaders at Whole Foods.  They don't make much off of me as I go in there for yogurt if it's on sale and leave with nothing else.  I was in line buying a bottle of wine last week--only because it was on sale.  There was an elderly gentleman in front of me who spent $80 for 1/2 of a bag of groceries.  I could have purchased what he bought at Krogers for $40.

BTW, the bottle of wine I bought, on a deep sale at Whole Foods, was probably the same price as it would be at Kroger or Meijers not on sale, LOL.

 

I'm compared wine prices at Whole Foods to other places, and they are consistently 25% higher.  That's a considerable difference.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,836
Registered: ‎04-28-2010

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

I'm going to try to find a nearby Whole Foods, just to browse around.  I don't recall, in all of these years, ever shopping there, mainly because I don't pass by one or see any advertisements, etc.  I'll look on the Internet for local stores, if any that are nearby.  Gasoline costs usually prohibit me from driving out of my area, because then it would be counter-productive, cost-wise.  That goes for clothing, and everything else.  This is a very good thread, BTW!  Thanks, O/P!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison


@ROMARY wrote:

I'm going to try to find a nearby Whole Foods, just to browse around.  I don't recall, in all of these years, ever shopping there, mainly because I don't pass by one or see any advertisements, etc.  I'll look on the Internet for local stores, if any that are nearby.  Gasoline costs usually prohibit me from driving out of my area, because then it would be counter-productive, cost-wise.  That goes for clothing, and everything else.  This is a very good thread, BTW!  Thanks, O/P!


*******************************

 

You're welcome, ROMARY Smiley Happy

 

The Whole Foods I've been to are nice.  If one was easlily available, I'd check out their Deli/ready made food items, they look good.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices