Honored Contributor

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

@JAXS mom wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

It doesn't matter to me because there is no way I could only shop at Trader Joes and make what I like. On the other hand I could do that with Whole Foods. I try and reduce tha number of different stores I shop at. And Trader Joes has been known forever for their limited time deal items. Which is why the prices are cheaper. 

I have no idea what that means.  They've always had limited time products that they consider seasonal, or new ones they're basically trying out to see if people like them.

I can't see that has anything to do with pricing, is that what you're referring to?

You don't know what I'm talking about? Trader Joes started on the premise that they made special deals with suppliers and packaged them up at discounted savings but they could only get so much, so once it was gone it's gone. Over the years they have morphed into carrying more staples but they have never been a full selection grocery store. I'd rather shop at a full selection grocery store than save money on some items have to go to yet another store. 

I think anyone who has ever shopped at a Trader Joe's knows it doesn't have, and doesn't expect it to have, everything a chain supermarket does, and they're just fine with that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi Homegirl Smiley Happy

The slideshow shows the comparison is basically for the same products.

Hi Noel,

Thanks.  I only buy a few of those things so I think maybe for me, I could do a price comparison of my own one of these days.  If I do at least ten items, I'll report back.  Not promising any pictures, though!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I went shopping today at Whole Foods and the only item on the slide show that I bought was the apple sauce.  It was not $2.99 but $2.69 which was 10 cents less than what TJs supposedly charges.  For some foods I prefer Sprouts where soups, cereal, peanuts, crackers are less than the Whole Foods.  Sprouts is a nice sized store not some small cramped little place like TJs where you constantly bump into someone.  

Interesting fact, in the last 20+ years that I've lived here, the stores on both sides of TJs were vacant more than once and they could have expanded  their business to make it easier on everyone....the number one complaint is too cramped and no salad bar and a lot of other amenities but no they never made the store bigger.  I will not go there and be jostled around and then have to wait in line forever in a narrow checkout lane.  Sprouts and Whole Foods are so much better.   

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

It doesn't matter to me because there is no way I could only shop at Trader Joes and make what I like. On the other hand I could do that with Whole Foods. I try and reduce tha number of different stores I shop at. And Trader Joes has been known forever for their limited time deal items. Which is why the prices are cheaper. 

I have no idea what that means.  They've always had limited time products that they consider seasonal, or new ones they're basically trying out to see if people like them.

I can't see that has anything to do with pricing, is that what you're referring to?

You don't know what I'm talking about? Trader Joes started on the premise that they made special deals with suppliers and packaged them up at discounted savings but they could only get so much, so once it was gone it's gone. Over the years they have morphed into carrying more staples but they have never been a full selection grocery store. I'd rather shop at a full selection grocery store than save money on some items have to go to yet another store. 

I think anyone who has ever shopped at a Trader Joe's knows it doesn't have, and doesn't expect it to have, everything a chain supermarket does, and they're just fine with that.

Which is why I said I'd rather shop at Whole Foods where I can do one stop shopping. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

ITA, moonchilde.  I don't know of anyone who expects TJoe's to feature everything a large store has, and that's a major reason the prices are lower.

We get a lot at Trader Joe's, but we also get a lot of typical grocery store items at Target, like cleanser, bath soap, paper towels and TP.

I also find I'm buying more and more in the way of food items at Target.  They carry a cereal I like, my favorite coffee (Peets) is there, spices and herbs, bread both DH and I get, etc.  Target also gets specials on fresh organic chicken breasts and nice small steaks.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

I went shopping today at Whole Foods and the only item on the slide show that I bought was the apple sauce.  It was not $2.99 but $2.69 which was 10 cents less than what TJs supposedly charges.  For some foods I prefer Sprouts where soups, cereal, peanuts, crackers are less than the Whole Foods.  Sprouts is a nice sized store not some small cramped little place like TJs where you constantly bump into someone.  

Interesting fact, in the last 20+ years that I've lived here, the stores on both sides of TJs were vacant more than once and they could have expanded  their business to make it easier on everyone....the number one complaint is too cramped and no salad bar and a lot of other amenities but no they never made the store bigger.  I will not go there and be jostled around and then have to wait in line forever in a narrow checkout lane.  Sprouts and Whole Foods are so much better.   

You know that's the case in every one I've been in, in more than one state. They are always cramped and it's a PITA to get around in it. Plus the parking lot is always tiny too. And I don't mean they are packed with customers, although sometimes they are really busy. It's just trying to cram too much stuff in too small a space and they always seem to be located in a tiny strip mall. 

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

ITA, moonchilde.  I don't know of anyone who expects TJoe's to feature everything a large store has, and that's a major reason the prices are lower.

Well the premise was on comparing prices between the two. But, when one is a niche market where they only carry the minimium of staples and the rest of the space is only on items they can get a super discount on it defies logic to compare those prices with a full service grocery store. It's apples and oranges. 

Honored Contributor

When I grocery shop, unless it's for a special occasion, I want to do it all in 1 store.  The little bit of money I might save running from store to store, just isn't worth (to me) my time and effort.

Give me a large, updated, chain store over any of these smaller specialty type stores. 

Honored Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

Well the premise was on comparing prices between the two. But, when one is a niche market where they only carry the minimium of staples and the rest of the space is only on items they can get a super discount on it defies logic to compare those prices with a full service grocery store. It's apples and oranges. 

Not when people get a significant amount of their food at Trader Joe's. 

Apparently most people feel that way, TJoe's is more popular in the foodie area of San Francisco than WF.  But, to each their own.  Oh, and we don't have strip malls here or empty spaces. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

When I grocery shop, unless it's for a special occasion, I want to do it all in 1 store.  The little bit of money I might save running from store to store, just isn't worth (to me) my time and effort.

Give me a large, updated, chain store over any of these smaller specialty type stores. 

Because I shop for my stepmom I go to a lot of stores.  If not for that, I probably would do all my shopping at Whole Foods.  Have to say though I find the cost of their water just downright offensive.  I periodically make a water run to a Kroegers or Albertsons and find the same water for .59 to $1.00 less;  I buy a lot at one time to avoid going back and forth.  Of all the things that I paid more for at Whole Foods....it was the water that really got me steamed.