Honored Contributor

Re: WHOLE FOODS v. TRADER JOE'S: A Price Comparison

Could be that they're overspraying the trucks and/or floors/aisles for pests, etc.  Or, it's in the recycled plastic, etc.  Noticed a couple of weeks ago that my usual index cards had a very strong odor (still have; been airing them out on my porch).  Three packages, and nobody around here wants them.  I at first thought it was the plastic packaging, but, not the case.  The cards in the middle of each package still have a strong somewhat perfume scent.  First time, though.  Bought at a nation-wide drug store.  I'm going to 'test' other stores, see if they are all the same as mine.  I asked my friends, and yes, they smell it, too, and don't want them to use, either, even though they often use index cards in their home offices, etc.  My neighbor said that he feels that possibly they are using a scent to cover-up the recycling chemicals odor, and that he's run across the same problem in other items.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter to me because there is no way I could only shop at Trader Joes and make what I like. On the other hand I could do that with Whole Foods. I try and reduce tha number of different stores I shop at. And Trader Joes has been known forever for their limited time deal items. Which is why the prices are cheaper. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, thanks Muttmom!  That's what we've been doing, more or less.  Trader Joe's packaged items seem, so far, odor/chemical free.  Keeping our fingers crossed...........'Wishing and hoping', anyway.  Heart   p.s.  Seems as though the merchandisers (elsewhere, some other chains) aren't really 'thinking things through', as far as where items should be placed, food and paper products-wise.  A hundered years ago (lol, and joking) in our advertising classes, we learned about proper product (including food) placement, etc.  I doubt if merchandisers have taken those classes.  It's all about the $$$$ side of merchandising, I guess.  Or, they just haven't been properly trained, educated. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd rather pay more for better quality at Whole Foods (and do).  I never find anything I would buy at Trader Joe's.  I've never understood the appeal.  A lot of produce in pre-packs, a lot of convenience foods (I rarely even shop those aisles any more anywhere), and they seemingly had to be dragged kicking and screaming to stock cruelty-free products such as eggs.

I shop at other markets, too, but it's extremely rare (maybe every couple of years) I find myself at a Trader Joe's.  And they are right next to my favorite Pet Food Express, too.

(The only foods I ever LOVED from Trader Joe's were the apricots in glass jars from France.  Absolutely amazing.  But those have been discontinued for probably over 10 years.)

I shop according to value, and not just price, even though price does play a part.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I think TJ's offers much more value for the money.

Honored Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

It doesn't matter to me because there is no way I could only shop at Trader Joes and make what I like. On the other hand I could do that with Whole Foods. I try and reduce tha number of different stores I shop at. And Trader Joes has been known forever for their limited time deal items. Which is why the prices are cheaper. 

I have no idea what that means.  They've always had limited time products that they consider seasonal, or new ones they're basically trying out to see if people like them.

I can't see that has anything to do with pricing, is that what you're referring to?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'd rather pay more for better quality at Whole Foods (and do).  I never find anything I would buy at Trader Joe's.  I've never understood the appeal.  A lot of produce in pre-packs, a lot of convenience foods (I rarely even shop those aisles any more anywhere), and they seemingly had to be dragged kicking and screaming to stock cruelty-free products such as eggs.

I shop at other markets, too, but it's extremely rare (maybe every couple of years) I find myself at a Trader Joe's.  And they are right next to my favorite Pet Food Express, too.

(The only foods I ever LOVED from Trader Joe's were the apricots in glass jars from France.  Absolutely amazing.  But those have been discontinued for probably over 10 years.)

I shop according to value, and not just price, even though price does play a part.

Hi Homegirl Smiley Happy

The slideshow shows the comparison is basically for the same products.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

TJs carries many products that are seasonal. Some come back every year and some do not. They also listen to their customers and provide new products all the time based in what customers have asked for. If a new product sells in sufficient quantity across all stores it becomes a permanent item. If it doesn't sell enough they discontinue it. They keep their prices low in part because they aren't forced to keep stocking items that don't sell/they take a loss on, like supermarket chains.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know about WF's (I don't know where the nearest one is, so I'm guessing that we don't have a nearby WF store.), but, IMO, Trader Joe's is a nice experience.  They are so nice over there.  Also, they sell Kona coffee (pure, not blended).  Hard to find unless you order it online from Hawaii, and the S&H is always too high (for me).  Anyway, if I'm looking for an item, I go to the main manager's counter, and they simply look it up online in a few seconds, and let me know whether or not they carry it, if it's on order, or if another store has it in stock.   It's such an easy, fast shopping experience.  And, if I want to take my time and wander around to look at 'this and that', the store employees are very nice.  I usually run into neighbors who are shopping.  Also, I know a few employee's names.  Can't say enough (good things) about TJ's, so far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

I have no idea what that means.  They've always had limited time products that they consider seasonal, or new ones they're basically trying out to see if people like them.

I can't see that has anything to do with pricing, is that what you're referring to?

You don't know what I'm talking about? Trader Joes started on the premise that they made special deals with suppliers and packaged them up at discounted savings but they could only get so much, so once it was gone it's gone. Over the years they have morphed into carrying more staples but they have never been a full selection grocery store. I'd rather shop at a full selection grocery store than save money on some items have to go to yet another store. 

I grew up near the orginal Trader Joes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval