Trusted Contributor

Re: WHO TURNED THE HEAT OFF IN FLORIDA?

I have to laugh at the "seniors come to Florida to die" comment.  Two sets of our friends retired and moved OUT of Florida.  One couple moved to Colorado and the other couple moved to New Mexico.  So, go figure. 

I'm retirement age and ready to move out of Florida.  Sick and tired of the heat, hurricanes and politics of this State.  As soon as I can figure out where to move to, I'm outta here.

I revel in the cold weather and hope for a cold winter every year.  It's the only way I can get through nine months of stifling heat and humidity.   Winter is the only time I can do yard work and not collapse from heat exhaustion.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has a different tolerance to heat and cold. I'm freezing in the California desert @66*. Waiting for my sweatshirts to come out of the dryer.
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

29 last night.  I was under so many blankets, I could not turn over.  I can't imagine what you people up North are going through. 

@BalletBabe 

In the interest of looking on the bright side .....   when you get a heat wave or a cold snap  .... just look at it as a chance to rotate your wardrobe ....  

BTW ....  those temps are a good time to have a nice cup of hot tea ....   Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

29 last night.  I was under so many blankets, I could not turn over.  I can't imagine what you people up North are going through. 

@BalletBabe 

In the interest of looking on the bright side .....   when you get a heat wave or a cold snap  .... just look at it as a chance to rotate your wardrobe ....  

BTW ....  those temps are a good time to have a nice cup of hot tea ....   Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe 

@Tinkrbl44    Don't forget the hot chocolate!

Esteemed Contributor

I find it so disgusting that people who don't live in Florida know so much about Florida!

Also, their opinions are always, always negative!!!

Retired people come to Florida to LIVE! 

Outside activity is always available and Florida has many attractions for slower days!  There is something to enjoy 365 days a year in Florida.

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Puppy Lips  Well what a coinky dink!  My sister and I also grew up in Ohio, right on the shores of Lake Erie.  My sis most definitely turned into a wuss after moving to FL!  😀

Now on the flip side of all of this, the southerners can call me a wuss come summertime.  I simply cannot tolerate the heat and humidity!  As they say, "turnabout is fair play".

@LdyBugz I lived close to Lake Erie too - both growing up and after I got married.  I guess I can tolerate all kinds of weather and humidity.  You can't change it, so it does not do any good to complain about it.  Frankly, I don't even notice the humidity anymore here in central FL.  It has been cloudy and rainy here the last few days - reminds me of Ohio.  I will say the cloudy skies can get to me after awhile.  Sunny days really do improve everyone's mood.  When we moved to FL 15 years ago, it seemed to me that people here were overall happier than in Ohio, and I think the weather has something to do with that.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Puppy Lips  Well what a coinky dink!  My sister and I also grew up in Ohio, right on the shores of Lake Erie.  My sis most definitely turned into a wuss after moving to FL!  😀

Now on the flip side of all of this, the southerners can call me a wuss come summertime.  I simply cannot tolerate the heat and humidity!  As they say, "turnabout is fair play".

@LdyBugz I lived close to Lake Erie too - both growing up and after I got married.  I guess I can tolerate all kinds of weather and humidity.  You can't change it, so it does not do any good to complain about it.  Frankly, I don't even notice the humidity anymore here in central FL.  It has been cloudy and rainy here the last few days - reminds me of Ohio.  I will say the cloudy skies can get to me after awhile.  Sunny days really do improve everyone's mood.  When we moved to FL 15 years ago, it seemed to me that people here were overall happier than in Ohio, and I think the weather has something to do with that.

@Puppy Lips   @LdyBugz

I grew up in a suburb of Buffalo with  Lake Erie only a few miles away .....  and there is pretty much NOTHING most people could teach me about snow!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

It was 21 degrees the other morning in SC. I really don't mind the cold, in fact, I really miss the cold and snowy winters.

The bad part about the cold is the houses were never built for it. So, your heat pump can run all day and night and the house never warms up. And, if it stays cold day/night, the pipes freeze so you have no water.

Give me the cold/snowy northeast! 

Speaking of Northeast.  There might be a blizzard brewing in Boston this weekend (Saturday) 

Trusted Contributor

@songbird  The "brewing" has changed to "It's coming!  Batten down the hatches!"  😬