Respected Contributor

Re: WHO Guidelines When to Wear Mask - Hmmm

@Boomerdotty wrote:

From The Who int site

When to use a mask
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of . . .

I don't understand why this is on the WHO site or why it was posted here.

Most of us DON'T KNOW if we're "healthy" or if we have the virus. That's the crux of the matter. We're wearing masks to thwart transmission to others. Test results can't clear anyone, because a minute after they were tested they could have picked up the virus. So everyone needs to wear a mask in public, period.

AFAIC, the WHO, CDC, and FDA have lost credibility because of the way they've handled things, so I wouldn't give their pronouncements much weight. Use common sense. We need to err on the side of caution and maintain the masking TO PROTECT OTHERS. And we need to be at least 6' from people. I yell at people who violate my Sacred Six that they're too close, and they move back. Do it. Don't put up with yahoos risking your health. You have an outdoor voice. Use it.

But it's high time masks that protect the wearer, N95s, were made available to the general public. This inability to protect ourselves except by remaining isolated and relying on an increasingly fraying social contract is not tenable in the long term. I know that even N95s, properly fitted, don't provide 100% protection, but what we have now is ridiculous.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe it was started by Chinese citizens who wanted their voice to be heard. Their offices get at attacked all the time. I find it is a good source to find what news we do not see coming out of the major news media, even on news happening in this country.  Just another source to gain some facts.

Every reporting article we see is not always truthful, you have to question everything anymore. Comments and links you see, some are meant to purposely deceive us. I think we will find out more soon, hopefully very soon. Peace and health to all.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm not sure of where some of these numbers are coming from.  According to NPR, this virus is typically spread from 2 to 2.5 people whereas the flu is typically spread to 1.3 people.

80% of the virus cases are mild to moderate and can be treated at home.  20% of the cases require hospitalization.  Only 1-2% of flu cases require hospitalization.

If you are hospitalized for the virus, you are typically in the hospital for twice as long as you are for the flu.  

I could find nothing to back up some of the other figures here.   

Also keep in mind that the 80 - 20 split you are referencing only takes into account the people who are tested and are positive for the virus.  Those tests were also in most cases were limited to the most vulnerable population, so more hospitalizations would be expected.  The unknown is the number of people who have or had the virus and were not tested.  By adding possibly millions of unreported cases into the statistics could greatly change those numbers.

That goes without saying.  

Respected Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Reading this thread is fascinating..one of the most knowledgeable posters on the boards @pitdakota wrote eloquently about the reasons for wearing masks. And the the responses...don't trust the experts, the media lies etc start. Me thinks a lot of you have drunk the Kool-aid.

Thank you for you kind words @sydsgma1.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Frequent Contributor

Forget all that i wear a mask to protect myself !!  GEEZ

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm not sure of where some of these numbers are coming from.  According to NPR, this virus is typically spread from 2 to 2.5 people whereas the flu is typically spread to 1.3 people.

80% of the virus cases are mild to moderate and can be treated at home.  20% of the cases require hospitalization.  Only 1-2% of flu cases require hospitalization.

If you are hospitalized for the virus, you are typically in the hospital for twice as long as you are for the flu.  

I could find nothing to back up some of the other figures here.   

Also keep in mind that the 80 - 20 split you are referencing only takes into account the people who are tested and are positive for the virus.  Those tests were also in most cases were limited to the most vulnerable population, so more hospitalizations would be expected.  The unknown is the number of people who have or had the virus and were not tested.  By adding possibly millions of unreported cases into the statistics could greatly change those numbers.

That goes without saying.  

You would think so, but not in everyones mind.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any mask/face covering is good. If enough people wear any kind of nose and mouth covering at all, we can reduce transmission down to nothing. It doesn't matter what you use as a mask/face cover. Sure there are better ones than others, but it doesn't matter that much as long as you wear something over your nose and mouth. Which is why bandanas are okay.

Go ahead and improvise. Better, much much much much better than going obscenely bare.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

@Gkhm wrote:

This is ridiculous!  Have we turned into a communist country where we will just do what government tells us without any question?  If we are sick or elderly we need to stay home as long as we think we should but we should not make people feel guilty for getting back to work and keeping their jobs and the economy going!  This virus has been proven no more dangerous than a bad case of the flu.  Let's get real... it's time to get back to work!

Do 1,000 people A DAY die of the flu?

Its painfully obvious where you get your misinformation.

Valued Contributor

A quick google search will show you horrifying pictures of full refrigerated semi trucks all over the country full of dead bodies.

I'm sure you can find them if you want a dose of reality.

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Gkhm,

Ok, just stop right now.

You can't wish something to be true when it is not.

Results have shown that people are dying 20 times more with this virus than they had at the deadliest season of the flu!

Everything people with any sense have been doing is to protect themselves and those they love and others from this deadly nightmare of a virus, not for some misguided opinion that we are being forced.

This is all done to protect ourselves.

Do you watch any news at all?!

I don't think we've ever seen bodies piling up and being stored in huge trucks before with the flu. Did you have a relative in one of these trucks that you were not able to visit while they were dying?! 

If you don't want to protect yourself

or believe there is anything to protect, by all means do what you are going to do, and hope you never get it or infect someone else because you are denying anything is really dangerous about this.

I'm sure everyone wishes this were not happening and that we could go about like we used to, at our jobs, seeing our families, etc. so there is no need at all to divide people or say things that are meant to incite and divide! Or beliefs that are just plain ignorant! I'm really sick of these ridiculous opinions based on some distorted beliefs.

Please stop just making things up to make some point.  It is these type of outrageous claims that place doubt in peoples minds.  People keep throwing out numbers with full knowledge they are distorted basically because there is no way of knowing the number of people who have had the virus and recovered.  So called experts should know better and temper the rhetoric.  People are just getting tired of the constant fear and panic being generated, lets just use some common sense.