Honored Contributor

Re: WHO Guidelines When to Wear Mask - Hmmm

Most of the confusion about masks comes from the fact that we are calling everything a mask now.

Each guideline published needs to define what they mean by mask vs face covering.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@Gkhm wrote:

When all of your scientists and celebrities sell their homes and move away from the oceans that are "rising at an unbearable rate", I might think more about buying your global warming theory that these same scientists believe in so much with all their hearts.

When did this converstion pivot to climate change? Divert, distract and distort are tactics used when you got nothing to defend your position. It's more logical to try to stay on topic at least in spirit.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Most of the confusion about masks comes from the fact that we are calling everything a mask now.

Each guideline published needs to define what they mean by mask vs face covering.

That is always my first question when someone says they need a mask.  Some may offer some protection while others are nothing more than window dressing. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Contrary to the opinion some seem to have, I don't think anyone is 'anti science', I simply think some of us have begun to look a bit askance at scientists and at scientific organizations whose credibility, rightly or wrongly, appears to have been compromised. To be sure, there's going to be a certain amount of 'making it up as we go along' with this thing, but the extent of waffling begins to appear to be somewhat legion and hence more than a bit untenable...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reading this thread is fascinating..one of the most knowledgeable posters on the boards @pitdakota wrote eloquently about the reasons for wearing masks. And the the responses...don't trust the experts, the media lies etc start. Me thinks a lot of you have drunk the Kool-aid.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 wrote:

Reading this thread is fascinating..one of the most knowledgeable posters on the boards @pitdakota wrote eloquently about the reasons for wearing masks. And the the responses...don't trust the experts, the media lies etc start. Me thinks a lot of you have drunk the Kool-aid.

Knowledgeable people do not quote distorted numbers to prove a point.  It truely throws everything else they may say into a different perspective. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Didn't read all the comments but I don't care what so-called 'experts' have to say. They've shown themselves to be untrustworthy (to put it mildly). Aside from things I've seen about the questionable effectiveness and impact on the environment, my take is this:

~ masks are part of having the people be part of spreading the unnecessary fear

~ we weren't meant to breathe through material and there are articles that discuss:

- you don't get the same amount of oxygen when wearing them

- breathing in the tiny particles and toxins from the masks isn't the best idea

~ some people who are hard of hearing need the ability to read lips to understand what is being said

~ my friend told me of someone she knows who was waterboarded and really cannot have something covering his mouth

Just some things to consider before judging anyone who doesn't conform the way you think they should especially since this virus isn't as contagious/deadly as some have been led to believe.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure of where some of these numbers are coming from.  According to NPR, this virus is typically spread from 2 to 2.5 people whereas the flu is typically spread to 1.3 people.

80% of the virus cases are mild to moderate and can be treated at home.  20% of the cases require hospitalization.  Only 1-2% of flu cases require hospitalization.

If you are hospitalized for the virus, you are typically in the hospital for twice as long as you are for the flu.  

I could find nothing to back up some of the other figures here.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gkhm wrote:

That's funny I live in Texas they are saying it's going to be about a month before we have any idea about how this is going.  I haven't heard of any Texas mayors (except maybe in more liberal cities like Austin and Dallas, But I haven't even heard of them asking) asking for federal support.

Google it.  It's right there. Many sites.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm not sure of where some of these numbers are coming from.  According to NPR, this virus is typically spread from 2 to 2.5 people whereas the flu is typically spread to 1.3 people.

80% of the virus cases are mild to moderate and can be treated at home.  20% of the cases require hospitalization.  Only 1-2% of flu cases require hospitalization.

If you are hospitalized for the virus, you are typically in the hospital for twice as long as you are for the flu.  

I could find nothing to back up some of the other figures here.   

Also keep in mind that the 80 - 20 split you are referencing only takes into account the people who are tested and are positive for the virus.  Those tests were also in most cases were limited to the most vulnerable population, so more hospitalizations would be expected.  The unknown is the number of people who have or had the virus and were not tested.  By adding possibly millions of unreported cases into the statistics could greatly change those numbers.