Honored Contributor

Re: WHO Guidelines When to Wear Mask - Hmmm

@Boomerdotty wrote:
Hydroxychloroquine is the ‘most effective therapy’ for coronavirus treatment: A global survey of over 6,000 doctors shows
Nickie LouiseNickie LouisePOSTED ON APRIL 2, 2020

A global survey of more than 6,000 doctors conducted found that malarial drug hydroxychloroquine was the most highly rated treatment against the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19).

The survey conducted by Sermo, a global health care polling company, found that 6,227 physicians in 30 countries found that 37% of those treating COVID-19 patients rated hydroxychloroquine as the “most effective therapy” from a list of 15 options..

Early this week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued emergency use authorization of anti-malaria drug Hydroxychloroquine for treatment of coronavirus patients. Previously available for “off-label” use, the FDA now gives hospitals and doctors emergency permission to use the anti-malarial drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to treat coronavirus patients.

The survey also found that the three most commonly prescribed treatments are 56% analgesics, 41% Azithromycin, and 33% Hydroxychloroquine.

Below is a summary of the findings.

• Hydroxychloroquine usage amongst COVID-19 treaters is 72% in Spain, 49% in Italy, 41% in Brazil, 39% in Mexico, 28% in France, 23% in US, 17% in Germany, 16% in Canada, 13% in UK and 7% in Japan.
  • Hydroxychloroquine was overall chosen as the most effective therapy from a list of 15 options (37% of COVID-19 treaters).
  • 75% in Spain, 53% Italy, 44% in China, 43% in Brazil, 29% in France, 23% in US and 13% in UK.
  • The two most common treatment regimens for Hydroxychloroquine were:  (38%) 400mg twice daily on day one; 400 mg daily for 5 days. (26%) 400mg twice daily on day one; 200mg twice daily for 4 days.
  • Outside the US, Hydroxychloroquine was equally used for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms whereas in the US it was most commonly used for high risk diagnosed patients.
  • Globally, 19% of physicians prescribed or have seen Hydroxychloroquine prophylactically used for high risk patients, and 8% for low risk patients.
  • Second global outbreak is anticipated by 83% of global physicians, 90% of US physicians but only 50% of Chinese physicians.
  • In the US, 63% of physicians recommend restrictions be lifted six or more weeks from now and 66% believe the peak is at least 3-4 weeks away.
  • Average Time for COVID-19 Test:
    • On average tests in the US take 4-5 days, and in 10% of cases the wait is more than 7 days.
    • 14% of US physicians and over 50% in all of Europe and Japan report getting test results in 24 hours; in China 73% of doctors get tests back in 24 hours, while 8% get tests back within the hour.
  • Prioritizing Patient Treatment in Case of Ventilator Shortage:
    • In all countries except China, the top criteria for deciding who should receive a ventilator first was patients with the highest chance of recovery (47%) followed by those most ill and at highest risk of death (21%), then first responders (15%).
    • In China the priorities were reversed as the most ill and highest risk of death received ventilators.
    • First responders were more important in the US.
    • France, Japan, and Italy prioritized age.
    • Brazil and Russia prioritized higher risk patients

Even after all the deaths and side effects......  Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

I have not been anywhere that a mask was required in order to enter. I do not live in a big metropolis, though. Wearing a mask for long periods of time will cause respiratory problems just as the virus would. So, personally, I am opposed to wearing a mask. The only place I will wear one is a doctor's office since, obviously, some of the people there are actually sick. If a business won't allow me in without s mask,, I will just go someplace else.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

The Chinese people wear masks all the time. I'm beggining to think they are the ones that know what we should do. This is not about the Chinese government I don't trust them one bit. Wear a mask until this virus is gone in your area to be safe. The fact that healthcare workers always wear masks says a lot. They're not worried about giving patients something they're worried about getting something. 

Actually, a lot of healthcare workers don't always wear masks. I've never seen my doctor or his nurse practitioner wear a mask.  Same thing for other doctors that I have visited for stress tests or even the few times I have been in the ER. None of those people wore masks.  Mostly, I think you'll see masks in the operating room to protect the sterile field, not to protect the operating staff.

Uh.....there was no reason for healthcare workers to wear a mask all the time before this pandemic. Policies change due to changing sitiuations. When I went to nursing school (in the late 70's) we were told never to wear gloves when caring for a patient because it would upset the patient and human touch is healing. Then came HIV and all that changed. Nothing remains stagnant, especially in healthcare and evidence based practices. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Oh, geesh, we all know it is a courtesy for those around us.  Isn't that enuf to know?  Just wear the mask.

Totally agree. But I also wear mine as a reminder not to touch my fact. I have allergies and my nose always seems to be itching. It's an unconscous action. So the masks stops that which I hope decreases my getting the germs from touching something and then touching my face.