Respected Contributor

Re: WHO Guidelines When to Wear Mask - Hmmm

Oh for goodness sakes.  The World Health Organization is just that...it deals with recommendations for countries all over the globe.  Therefore, it will offer minimum guidelines knowing that other countries with their own health organizations will make the best recommendations for that country based on what is reasonable.

There are multiple countries that are very poor and don't have access to masks.  No hope of many governments being able to purchase them for individuals either.  Therefore, the minimum guideline will be to cover your sneezes and coughs.

If you note on their website, they also state there is no need to use a washer and dryer for your clothes either.  That is because there are many underdeveloped countries in which washers and dryers are not essential appliances when compared to developed countries.

So does that mean we should not use a washer and dryer to wash our clothes just because the WHO website says it is not necessary?

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

Oh for goodness sakes.  The World Health Organization is just that...it deals with recommendations for countries all over the globe.  Therefore, it will offer minimum guidelines knowing that other countries with their own health organizations will make the best recommendations for that country based on what is reasonable.

There are multiple countries that are very poor and don't have access to masks.  No hope of many governments being able to purchase them for individuals either.  Therefore, the minimum guideline will be to cover your sneezes and coughs.

If you note on their website, they also state there is no need to use a washer and dryer for your clothes either.  That is because there are many underdeveloped countries in which washers and dryers are not essential appliances when compared to developed countries.

So does that mean we should not use a washer and dryer to wash our clothes just because the WHO website says it is not necessary?

actually, the WHO website says to do your laundry as you normally do......

who laundry.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

If you are healthcare provider people are in close proximity to you, you touch their bodily fluids, they breath, cough, throw up, bleed, puke, vomit, etc etc etc on you. When you wear mask in public, did not wash it, touch the bridge of the mask, because it keep moving up and down, is not surrounded by sterile environment, wear gloves god knows where, and touch I don't want to think about what. In all sense, you are doing more disservice. You need to wear sterile mask, and discard it a lot, and put new one, over and over and over again. WHO guidelines make sense much more than others.

Honored Contributor

Masks.jpg

Respected Contributor

I had a lab appt. this morning at my dr.'s office ahead of an appt. next week.  There was a girl sitting outside at a table & handed me a mask & took my temp before she'd allow be to enter the office waiting room.  Many of the chairs in the waiting room had signs on them telling you not to sit there to maintain the 6 ft. social distance & all of the office staff & the lab tech who drew my blood all were wearing masks. 

It will be interesting to see if my dr. & his nurse will be wearing masks when I go to my appt. next week.

After my blood draw, I went to Costco & they won't let you in without a mask.

Respected Contributor

Wearing a mask is a component of different strategies to be used in conjunction with each other to help prevent community transmission of the virus.

There are multiple studies out there that demonstrate laser illumination of oral particles when speaking and the difference with and without a mask.  No doubt about that.  No matter who does the study or demonstration, the results are always the same.....wearing any type of covering over the mouth and nose signficantly decreases the amount and trajectory of the oral particles that make it beyond the facial covering. 

Even when some go through the mask, they are significantly limited and don't have the same trajectory and more importantly, the velocity for spread because the mask provides a barrier.  Think physics and the difference of dropping a feather and a bowling ball from the roof of a 30 story building.  

So when you go out in public without a mask and actually have the virus without knowing it, you are spreading those respiratory droplets all over the place, by talking, sighing, and just doing normal things. And yes, they can potentially then drop onto articles that are around.  

This is how they had so many people infected in China and South Korea from places like call centers.  People were asymptomatic but with the cubicles close to each other but everyone talking on the phone so much of the time, they had an alarmingly high rate of transmission. 

So when everyone is using a mask (especially in areas where there are a group of people), and using the social distance parameters, along with good hand hygiene and keeping your hands away from your face...........that goes a really long way in helping to really decrease community transmission. 

But not one single one of those strategies is totally effective in and of itself.  That is what one has to realize.  I am surprised there isn't a national movement not to wash hands because no one can tell them what to do and if it is a respiratory virus what good does it do to wash your hands.  Just waiting for the discussion about articles or some expert saying washing hands is not important or necessary for infection control. 

Respected Contributor

Oh, geesh, we all know it is a courtesy for those around us.  Isn't that enuf to know?  Just wear the mask.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

actually, the WHO website says to do your laundry as you normally do......

who laundry.jpg

@sunshine45, Exactly, so as it states no need to use a washing machine or dryer, just do what you normally do.  They have to write recommendations like this because of their global community.  Same is true of masks.  Not all countries have access to any type of masks.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi On The Bay - I was feeling the same way.  That's why I posted it here - to get feedback from all you ladies. At this time, I do not trust the CDC, WHO or FDA.

Don't know if you read the Epoch Times, but there was an interesting article today about China buying PPE from all nations: (this is just a small clip of the article):

White House economic adviser Peter Navarro raised concerns about China’s actions during a recent Fox News interview, when he said China tried to “corner the world market in personal protective equipment. … They were buying large quantities of masks, gloves, goggles, respirators from the rest of the world at a time when the world was still sleeping with respect to the dangers of the virus.”

Between Jan. 24 to Feb. 29, China imported 2.46 billion shipping cartons of supplies for epidemic prevention, valued at 8.21 billion yuan ($1.158 billion, according to official customs data announced on March 7. Among them were 2.02 billion facial masks and 25.38 million protective suits.

Chinese firms and overseas Chinese organizations are the main means to realize Beijing’s global sourcing, buying up stock from the United States, Europe, Australia, and other countries.Beijing authorities mobilized the Chinese diaspora to help buy up goods. “Keep on buying while sending back to China [medical supplies], and try your best to buy as much as possible,” read one article posted on the official website of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)’s United Front Work Department, an agency dedicated to spreading the regime’s agenda inside and outside China. In the West, United Front organizations are usually Chinese student unions at colleges and universities, Chinese chambers of commerce, and Chinese associations.

Honored Contributor

The masks I own are washable except for one.

kindness is strength