Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

[ Edited ]

I'd say things were pretty balanced and I was exposed to all kinds of play, making up our own games, playing sidewalk games, riding bikes, running throught the sprinkler, going to the local park.  We played outside all the time except if we were sick or it was raining.  During my early childhood years, I was a bit of a tomboy.  I had dolls, games, an Easy Bake Oven, and an Incredible Edibles kit, dishes for a tea party.  My best friend, though, was a boy who lived across the street.  I played with him more than the girl who lived next door to him, but we often all played together too.  Being friends with a boy, I learned to enjoy playing in the dirt, making mud pies with the leaves from peony bushes, exploring an abandoned building, playing in the prairie, hammering nails into scrap pieces of 2x4, having a lit punk hang out of my mouth, playing with a cap gun or just unrolling the caps and hammering them with a big rock on the sidewalk.  He had a Creepy Crawler kit so we'd make bugs too.  During the Blizzard of '67, in Chicago, the city plows piled up snow so high in the alleys that we could climb up to the roof of his garage and and either jump off or slide down on what was piled up in the back yard.  LOL  Besides this friend, my family used to go to a rustic resort in Minnesota every year on vacation.  There I learned how to bait my own hook when we'd go fishing.  Touching worms and holding fish didn't bother me at all.   

I had a great childhood.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama "By the power of Grayskull!"

Esteemed Contributor

This isn't a toy..but I remember my Mom taking me to the shoe store to buy summer gym shoes. I wasn't more than 7.  I spotted a pair of boy's high tops,love at first sight.  I wanted them sooooo bad.  But back then "girls don't wear high tops."  I still remember the fit I pitched. Alas,I went home with a pair of boring girls Keds.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thinking back, I had many interesting toys over the course of my childhood.   

However ........  the one thing that stood out was whenever I would get them was a brand new box of  the 64 Crayola Crayons .... open the box, smell the waxy smell ....   and enjoy all the various colors in a brand new coloring book.  Woman LOL

Related image

Honored Contributor

I had just 'girl' toys, and the usual books and games etc. that either would have. 

I had a brother, and he had 'boy' toys. 

It wasn't unusual though, for me to play with his stuff. 

So while it wasn't exactly mine, I had access to and played with things considered for boys back in that day.

Honored Contributor

I just remembered all the western cowboy/cowgirl shows back then.  When we were still in elementary school, my girlfriend and I had Annie Oakley outfits.  That was right down to hat and gunbelt and gun.  We played that way once in awhile.  Mostly, it was all imaginary, we used legs and hands.  Legs were our horses and hands were guns, if we played that game.

Respected Contributor

I had dolls but I much preferred to be out in the street playing kickball with whoever could play.  We also played Tarzan and Jane with a rope in a tree.  We just used our imagination mostly.  Board games were for everyone.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Thinking back, I had many interesting toys over the course of my childhood.   

However ........  the one thing that stood out was whenever I would get them was a brand new box of  the 64 Crayola Crayons .... open the box, smell the waxy smell ....   and enjoy all the various colors in a brand new coloring book.  Woman LOL

Related image

I felt like I was rich, if I ever got that big box!

Honored Contributor

I did have a holster and gun.  I really liked the cap guns.  Most of my toys were dolls, paper dolls, dishes, etc.  I loved books, too.  Never was without a new book from the library.

Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver - my daughter was exactly the same, preferred a stuffed animal over a doll, horses being her favorite.

I had a brother, so boy toys were just part of play.