Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

I had 2 brothers. So people tended to give me girly gifts. I had lots of dolls. Well, on Christmas I must have hit my saturation point for dolls. So on Christmas Day I took the arms, legs and head off the dolls, I got for Christmas. I stuffed all the body parts under my bed. Later in the day friends of my parents came over to see how we liked their gifts to us. I came down the stairs with arm, legs, body and head in my arms. My parents were mortified. 

So next time (I think for my birthday) I was given a beautiful doll. Mom made me donate the doll to charity before I could even touch it. Guess she did not want to see another massacre.

I played with my brothers toys. We each had our own train set and my Dad went to alot of work setting up large displays, so we could play with the trains when we wanted. And we were always building stuff. We had interlocking blocks - like lego - so we were always building forts or castles. We had Robin Hood men and army men. Lots of horses or jeeps. And our absolute favorite were caps. We would go through rolls and rolls of caps. We would run the store out of caps and we had to wait until they got another shipment.

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

This isn't a toy..but I remember my Mom taking me to the shoe store to buy summer gym shoes. I wasn't more than 7.  I spotted a pair of boy's high tops,love at first sight.  I wanted them sooooo bad.  But back then "girls don't wear high tops."  I still remember the fit I pitched. Alas,I went home with a pair of boring girls Keds.  

@MoJoV Your post reminded me when I was around 6 or 7 I used  to race the girl next door (foot race) and she was 5 or 6 years older than me.  Of course, she always won.  They used to advertise PF Flyer tennis shoes on TV (I think that was the name) and they could make you "run faster, jump higher".  Well, I HAD to have a pair!  I begged my mom and finally she got me a pair.  I had to go next door and race the neighbor girl in my new PF Flyers and guess what!!!!  She STILL beat me.  I was SO deflated by the false advertising!! LOL

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

LOL .... me too!  

Well, for the REALLY "wealthy" kids, there's now a box of NINETY-SIX crayons!!!   

Check this out .....

Image result for 96 crayola crayons in rainbow order

Related image

Related image

This picture brings back a sweet memory of my daughter when she was around 4.  She brought the "MELON" color to me and asked, "is this what that song is about?"  I asked, what song?  She said, "that meloncolor" song.  She had heard her grandparents playing the record Melancholy Baby.  Out of the mouths of babes........

Trusted Contributor

Loved my dollies but, Books were my favourite things.  

So, of course, I read to my dolls.  Their favourite was “The Wind in the Willows”. Woman Wink 

If my throat got sore or voice tired, I would read silently - I believed my dolls could still “hear” me. (Some sort of telepathy?!)   

When my baby brother was born and got his train set and Tonka trucks, I enjoyed playing with those too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@trenet wrote:

Loved my dollies but, Books were my favourite things.  

So, of course, I read to my dolls.  Their favourite was “The Wind in the Willows”. Woman Wink 

If my throat got sore or voice tired, I would read silently - I believed my dolls could still “hear” me. (Some sort of telepathy?!)   

When my baby brother was born and got his train set and Tonka trucks, I enjoyed playing with those too. 

I loved Wind in the Willows, @trenet!  I am sure your dolls could still hear you reading when you read silently Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

I always thought it odd my brothers never had GI Joe.   Come to find out my dad drew the line at a doll for his sons.  

My brothers had Tonka trucks, a Big Bruiser wrecker truck, a pedal tractor, and MANY matchbox cars.  I had my very own red matchbox car that was parked in the headboard of my bookcase bed, and was the only car I played with when I joined my brothers at the dirt pile where we played cars.  

The oldest of my brothers loved to make potholders with my loom.  

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣! Still laughing! 

Valued Contributor

While I did have dolls, I also had three brothers.  That being said, I sure played with all things boy.  Never thought about it.  I am a widow now and do most of the handy work.  Comes as natural, holding a drill or pole saw as it does using my stand mixer.

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@just bee wrote:

One gift stands out.  In the 60s, my mother gave me a large metal helicopter that spun around, lit up with flashing lights and made helicopter sounds.

Beautifully crafted, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Then when I was ten she brought home a raccoon.

@just bee  You must have had a fun Mom!

@SeaMaiden

Life was never dull. Woman Wink

But one of the best gifts she ever gave us kids -- and I still don't know how she afforded it -- was World Book Encyclopedia, Childcraft and Cyclo Teacher.

@just bee  We had that same set of books.  I think they were sold as a package and you made monthly payments.  Now you see World Books in Goodwill, thrift stores, and estate sales.  They can't give them away.  We used to look things up all the time.  It was the Google of the day Smiley Happy.