Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

Don't remember getting alot of toys for any occasion really---had 2 brothers who got the boy stuff and I got girl stuff--altho for my 9 or 10 th b-day , I did get a pocket knife--still have it; I'm 63 now. Still have a couple Barbies too. 

Honored Contributor

No, I was very much a girlie girl!

Respected Contributor

Not really. When I grew up, it was traditional to give girls typical girl-type toys and to give boys typical boy-type toys. Every year I chose the new doll I wanted from the Sears and Roebuck Christmas catalog. However, I had a brother two years older than me. Sometimes we played cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, tinker toys, trains, etc. I did get an Annie Oakley outfit and gun one year for Christmas. Other than that, the most generic gift I received was a set of pick-up sticks. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Santa brought all three of us BB guns one year for Christmas and other than the combined big gift for the family we stayed pretty much gender specific.

Basketball hoop ect....., Bat Mitten set, Trampoline, Ping Pong Table and a Pool Table, were all Christmas gifts over the years we shared and tons of fun when we had the neighborhood over to join in.  Mom wanted her house to be the house.

I used my BB gun some but mostly I was a doll and Easy Bake Oven girl. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

LOL .... me too!  

Well, for the REALLY "wealthy" kids, there's now a box of NINETY-SIX crayons!!!   

Check this out .....

Image result for 96 crayola crayons in rainbow order

Related image

Related image

Honored Contributor

I never had any interest in traditional toys that were marketed to boys. I was the only girl on my block that loved dolls. I spent a lot of time sewing outfits for them. Loved paper dolls and stuffed animals. I started sewing at 8 and even crocheted my Barbie a sheath dress. I used to read at least 2 or 3 books a week. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

toys that may have been considered more "proper" for boys?

My sister and I had the usual "girl" toys, but we also had trains and tracks, race cars, guns and holsters, balls and bats, and the like.  This was in the 50's.  We never thought anything of it then, but now that I think of it, not alot of our girlfriends had these type toys.

How about you?  Also, if there are any guys reading this, did you ever have a doll or stuffed toy or something considered more "proper" for girls?

@tends2dogs  I didn't, but I bought the tiny cars, Scooby-doo, etc.  She had a male friend in nursery school who had such cars and they had such fun with them.  If she ever has a boy, she is all set, lol.

Valued Contributor

I owned a toy rifle (with cork bullets which my parents took away) and a Davy Crockett raccoon hat.. Also owned a Wild Bill Hickock set of jail keys and a rubber knife.  But I also loved dolls and stuffed animals.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

LOL .... me too!  

Well, for the REALLY "wealthy" kids, there's now a box of NINETY-SIX crayons!!!   

Check this out .....

Image result for 96 crayola crayons in rainbow order

Related image

Related image

Oh @Tinkrbl44 I remember in the third grade my dear Great-Grand Mother picked me up from school and she first saw the note I needed a new box of crayons.  We went straight to the store and she bought me the 64 count which was the biggest back in the early 70's.  The looks the next day on all my classmates was something I never forgot, I felt like the Crayon Queen.Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a baseball bat, ball, and glove. My neighborhood drew our own diamond and played every night after dinner. Everything else I had was girlile. However, my dolls all suffered a similar fate: I put them to bed on all my doll furniture my dad built, but they were expected to stay asleep until I deemed it interesting enough to deal with them. I kept them nicely, but I just wasn't into playing with baby dolls. Guess what? I don't have any kids either. I liked to teach kids, but not have them myself.