Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

I wanted (and got) a G.I. Joe doll because dad had been in the army.

Cap guns were everywhere back then.

We had a train set, too.  Wish I still had that-I don't remember if it was a Lionel or not but I can still remember the scent it made.

I still played mostly with my Barbie doll, paper dolls, and those sewing kits with the punched out holes where you sewed with yarn.

We were all girls in my family but outside we kept up with the boys climbing and playing baseball. 

I don't know why some people make such a big deal out of girl vs. boy play anyway.

After all, boys had dolls (G.I.Joe) back then.

I don't look at things like Lincoln Logs just for boys, although they do make them in pink which annoys me.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

One gift stands out.  In the 60s, my mother gave me a large metal helicopter that spun around, lit up with flashing lights and made helicopter sounds.

Beautifully crafted, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Then when I was ten she brought home a raccoon.

@just bee  You must have had a fun Mom!

Respected Contributor

I was and still am a tom boy...I gave all my dolls to neighbor girls...I played army with the boys, climbed trees, fished , etc..

Honored Contributor

My brother and I both received Tinkertoys (I loved the cylindrical container it came in), but only he received Erector Set and Lincoln Logs.

Esteemed Contributor

My toys were all girlie....dolls and mainly Barbie dolls w/ tons of accessories.  However, I did play with my older brother's Tonka trucks sometimes.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@just bee wrote:

One gift stands out.  In the 60s, my mother gave me a large metal helicopter that spun around, lit up with flashing lights and made helicopter sounds.

Beautifully crafted, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Then when I was ten she brought home a raccoon.

@just bee  You must have had a fun Mom!

@SeaMaiden

Life was never dull. Woman Wink

But one of the best gifts she ever gave us kids -- and I still don't know how she afforded it -- was World Book Encyclopedia, Childcraft and Cyclo Teacher.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Like some others stated, I didn't really care for dolls but loved stuffed animals and still do.  I never played house.  I liked cap guns and holsters, building blocks and my favorite of all was a western set my mother got me.  It had horses, cowboys, cattle, Indians, covered wagons, stage coaches, plastic hills, and stuff for whole western sets.  I would play with that for hours.  I always played with the boys in the neighborhood and not girly stuff.  Also loved marbles.

Respected Contributor

I wasn't interested in toys made for boys. I had brothers so they were there if I was interested. I remember playing with toy cars occasionally because I liked pushing them along lanes carved out in the dirt. But that's it. I did play summer softball at around ten on an all boys team. I was the pitcher and they all hated me, so I didn't try that again. I liked stuff like easy bake oven more than playing with the few dolls I owned. I had no stuffed animals. I liked racing boys because I could always beat them. LOL

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I remember my youngest niece and Goddaughter liked the masters of the universe characters He-man and She-ra.  I went all out and bought her the figures, castle Grayskull, the whole 9 yards.  I spent big money on the whole set up, including the villains.

That child also played with baby dolls.

I was so upset when one day her father (my brother in law) told her that masters of the universe was for boys.  The toys were put in a closet or the attic and she never played with them again.

To said I was furious would be an understatement, even now and the kid is almost 36 years old, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My parents bought me traditional girly toys, but I had brothers.  We all played with each other's toys.  

Now I have two granddaughters, and sometimes buy them dolls, other times, trucks, trains, Legos.