Respected Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

Oh yeah. I was a tomboy and a half! Loved playing Cowboys & Indians! Had my holster, my pistols, and my rifle! Good times! Seriously, that was soooooo much fun!!! I would take that over playing barbies any day of the week, not unless it was really pouring down rain or really having a snowstorm and was actually house bound. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I was very much a tomboy growing up and living in a rural, island area, I preferred wandering around in the woods bonding with nature to playing with dolls.

I got my horse at 12, along with my monkey shortly after and with our cats, dogs, rabbits and chickens, there was no time to play with dolls, LOL!

Yep.....I grew up an 'animal girl' and still am, LOL!

Wow, @KingstonsMom, how interesting - a monkey!  You had a live "baby".  A rural island area, you must have had quite a childhood. Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I had a cap gun. I love the smell of  caps exploding. All of the kids, boys and girls ,had them

I liked that smell, too, @cherry. LOL  Did you ever taste paste? I did and I licked Silly Putty.  It was salty. Smiley Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

One gift stands out.  In the 60s, my mother gave me a large metal helicopter that spun around, lit up with flashing lights and made helicopter sounds.

Beautifully crafted, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Then when I was ten she brought home a raccoon.

A racoon, @just bee.  How did that work out?  Was it gentle?  I would be afraid of rabies.......but maybe it had the vaccination?

Honored Contributor

All girl toys.  I loved playing with dolls and toy dishes.  (I was before the Barbie era.)

Esteemed Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

They only toys I had  when I was young. Had a couple dolls, a bike. We were given color books, colors, the cut out you would cut out and play cut outs with neighbor kids. Jane Powell cut outs was my favorite.

did have one of those old fire engines, you had to push the peddles to move. One of those stand up scooters you propelled along    With one foot.

we were only given girl toys. Did not have any brothers.

We each had one of those scooters, too.  We rarely used them because you could run faster than what you could on those things. HA!

Esteemed Contributor

I just thought of another thing we played - dress up!  We had a huge bin with all kind of clothes - dresses, formals, blouses, hats, shoes, you name it!  ALL the girls in the neighborhood came to our house to play when it was raining.  That was always a fun afternoon.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  I will never forget when I asked for a battleship when I was a little girl.  My ma wasn't thrilled with the idea.  My dad bought one for me and it was a beaut Woman LOL  It was big, dull gray and shot torpedoes off the sides.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had dart guns, but I liked playing with dolls the most.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@just bee wrote:

One gift stands out.  In the 60s, my mother gave me a large metal helicopter that spun around, lit up with flashing lights and made helicopter sounds.

Beautifully crafted, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Then when I was ten she brought home a raccoon.

A racoon, @just bee.  How did that work out?  Was it gentle?  I would be afraid of rabies.......but maybe it had the vaccination?

@tends2dogs

I adored him but I have to say that raccoons do not make good pets.  Especially in a third-floor apartment in Chicago.

We moved to Arizona with him.  Didn't matter where he lived, he was too smart for his own good and incredibly destructive.

But he was my buddy.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~