Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

@tends2dogs-

You may have unearthed a topic that we could write a lot about today!

Now that I think about it, we did have toys that could be for both!

I had lincoln logs, barbie dolls, stuffed animals, Chatty Cathy and

baseball gloves and bats (I was on the boys baseball team cause I could hit them over the fence!Woman LOL

I went deep sea fishing with my father and won an award for the 2nd largest fish caught. He and I were the only ones on the boat who didn't get seasickSmiley Happy

and once in a garbage dump I was so thrilled to find a ton of those little green army men and a huge stuffed dog! I thought I had hit a goldmine!

My mother was horrified-she let me keep the army men after washing but not the dog lol!

What a great topic and also to see how so many of us played with the same mixed things.

My daughter and I were just wondering the other day if people didn't send trucks and planes and books about them to my grandson or any boys, would they still be drawn to them or just as interested in dolls etc.?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver wrote:

Never really thought about my gender as a kid in terms of toy preference..but, will say that I NEVER enjoyed playing with dolls and never wanted a doll for a gift.  Rather I always wanted stuffed animals.  I had a zoo of them (plushy tigers, cats, dogs, a huge long snake, etc) . My mom always joked that I lived in a zoo.  Appropriate as I LOVE animals.

More on point to your question - my brother had tonka trucks, cars, lincoln logs, and model rockets.  When I played with him, we used his toys.

@MsCatLuver

Ditto .... never wanted dolls but loved stuffed animals.  I often helped mom with my younger sisters, so why would I ever want a doll?   It seemed redundant.

Respected Contributor

I loved my toy pistol...especially when I could dress up in my Annie Oakley hat, vest and fringed skirt.

Honored Contributor

I had a cap gun. I love the smell of  caps exploding. All of the kids, boys and girls ,had them

Honored Contributor

They only toys I had  when I was young. Had a couple dolls, a bike. We were given color books, colors, the cut out you would cut out and play cut outs with neighbor kids. Jane Powell cut outs was my favorite.

did have one of those old fire engines, you had to push the peddles to move. One of those stand up scooters you propelled along    With one foot.

we were only given girl toys. Did not have any brothers.

Respected Contributor

I had dolls but I also had trucks.....my dad was in construction. 

Honored Contributor

Although I was in all technical terms a true Girli Girl ...I enjoyed playing with toy cars....trucks ...and even toy guns( interesting that as an adult I have no attraction to guns at all!🤔.)

Trusted Contributor

What a great post. Takes me back in time. I had dolls, Chatty Cathie and  Barbie ect.  but I did have a cow girl outfit and a holster and guns. Wore it all the time and we played cowboys and Indians. Such a different time back in the 50’s. Memories I will cherish forever. I call them the Leave It To Beaver days.  Also played with Lincoln Logs.

Respected Contributor

Unless it was raining we were outside playing, climbing trees building forts, skating, bike riding, pogo stick riding, playing basketball and all the typlical games of the 50's. spud, hide and seek, hop scotch, four square etc. oh, I forgot, jacks and marbles. All the neighborhood kids boys and girls.

Re toys I had a doll house that my tiny steiff bears owned.  I loved stuffed animals, match box cars, bryer horses, dolls and most of all my art supplies.  I don't remember any one saying that something was a boy or girl toy.

There were never any guns in our home, toy or otherwise and that still holds true today. Our gardener bought us pocket knives and taught us how to play mumbly peg. I got to keep playing with it but my parents took the knife from my five year old sister.

Honored Contributor

One gift stands out.  In the 60s, my mother gave me a large metal helicopter that spun around, lit up with flashing lights and made helicopter sounds.

Beautifully crafted, but I was never quite sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Then when I was ten she brought home a raccoon.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~