Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

@tends2dogs wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I still have a Christmas photo of me at about age seven unwrapping a present.  Next to me was my brand new bride doll and Colt .45 (toy, of course).

Too funny! @geezerette

I was flexible!  😁

Honored Contributor

I had dolls and dollhouses but also guns. My best friend was the boy who lived next door so we played cops and robbers, shopping and gardener. One time we went begging door to door in our neighborhood, he had gotten the idea at Sunday school from a lesson on those less fortunate, the neighbors all knew our families and played along. We shared and never had a disagreement. Maybe that's why I prefer the company of men. I have no desire to go on a spa weekend or a girls night out. 

Honored Contributor

I was a kid in the 50's and we didn't have many toys of any kind. We played outside and used our imaginations to have a good time. I don't remember playing much with dolls, we played tag and hop scotch, hide and seek, war. The boys on our block had balls and bats so we played ball with them. We did play simple  board games though when we had to play inside.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

toys that may have been considered more "proper" for boys?

My sister and I had the usual "girl" toys, but we also had trains and tracks, race cars, guns and holsters, balls and bats, and the like.  This was in the 50's.  We never thought anything of it then, but now that I think of it, not alot of our girlfriends had these type toys.

How about you?  Also, if there are any guys reading this, did you ever have a doll or stuffed toy or something considered more "proper" for girls?

@tends2dogs

Like you, I had a train set, balls and bats, and cowgirl stuff - guns, holsters, cowboy hat, etc.  I also had lots of dolls and girl stuff, but no one pushed any of it on me one way or the other.  I was an only child for the first 6 years, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  For what it's worth, I grew up to be a very "girly" girl.

ETA @chrystaltree 's post later in this thread reminded me that I also had chemistry sets - more than one over the years.  I loved to do the "experiments," but had absolutely no aptitude for science as I got older, lol.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I still have a Christmas photo of me at about age seven unwrapping a present.  Next to me was my brand new bride doll and Colt .45 (toy, of course).

@geezerette

This reminded me that I have a Christmas photo of myself wearing a cowboy hat, gun, holster, and flannel shirt.  There were also dolls under the tree.  Maybe the 50s weren't quite as stifling as they are made out to be?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

My sister and I had the usual "girl" toys, but we also had trains and tracks, race cars, guns and holsters, balls and bats, and the like.  This was in the 50's.  We never thought anything of it then, but now that I think of it, not alot of our girlfriends had these type toys.

How about you?  Also, if there are any guys reading this, did you ever have a doll or stuffed toy or something considered more "proper" for girls?

@tends2dogs

Like you, I had a train set, balls and bats, and cowgirl stuff - guns, holsters, cowboy hat, etc.  I also had lots of dolls and girl stuff, but no one pushed any of it on me one way or the other.  I was an only child for the first 6 years, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  For what it's worth, I grew up to be a very "girly" girl.

Me, too, @shoesnbags. ...a girly girl.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I always had baby dolls, doll cradle, dishes, etc., but I also had a poster size chalkboard, wagon, sled, bike, baseball bat and glove, red straw cowgirl hat, boots, and holster with pearl handled cap pistols.   I also had a toy derringer I absolutely loved, which I carried in my pocketbook right along with my jewelry and play makeup.   

Respected Contributor

I have neighbors .. whose son has 2 children ... one girl .. one boy

and they thought they would go the non-gender route with the toys ...

didnn't work ... the boy wanted those trucks .....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At my grandmother's house, she had the prettiest little (hot wheels size) car.  It had doors that would open and a trunk and hood that would open.  I'd be fascinated for hours with that little car. 

Came back to say but:    we in the neighborhood, ran from house/yard to yard and up and down the street.  We used wagons and roller skates and bikes.  It wasn't so much what the OP refers to as it was, we did group things and the legs were our horses, and I swear we ran all the time.  Had the best block to do this in ever.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

My BFF and I at four years old had cowgirl outfits and cap guns and a holster.  It was the era of cowboys.  I wanted a Lionel train but I never got one. MY dad had been a pro baseball player and my mom and I played softball with my father as pitcher.  I loved it and I always had my own bat and ball, I later went into high school sports.  I had my fair share of dolls and the outfits my mother sewed for them.

My daughter liked Star Wars and action figure girl dolls.  She was like I had been, always climbing trees, falling into creeks and building things. I used to buy hordes of JC penny boys pants and jeans for her to wear at play.

As a kid, I always had skinned knees, she turned out to be just like that, too.  Active little girls were we Smiley Happy