Esteemed Contributor

WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

toys that may have been considered more "proper" for boys?

My sister and I had the usual "girl" toys, but we also had trains and tracks, race cars, guns and holsters, balls and bats, and the like.  This was in the 50's.  We never thought anything of it then, but now that I think of it, not alot of our girlfriends had these type toys.

How about you?  Also, if there are any guys reading this, did you ever have a doll or stuffed toy or something considered more "proper" for girls?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL, DID YOU HAVE

Other than a basketball hoop, my sister and I had girl toys.  When we were given tasks to do, they weren't like cooking or cleaning.  We were sent outside to help my father.  We mowed the lawn, emptied gutters, painted, etc.

Super Contributor

Never really thought about my gender as a kid in terms of toy preference..but, will say that I NEVER enjoyed playing with dolls and never wanted a doll for a gift.  Rather I always wanted stuffed animals.  I had a zoo of them (plushy tigers, cats, dogs, a huge long snake, etc) . My mom always joked that I lived in a zoo.  Appropriate as I LOVE animals.

More on point to your question - my brother had tonka trucks, cars, lincoln logs, and model rockets.  When I played with him, we used his toys.

Honored Contributor

My my bought dolls..........but they were in glass-front cases hanging from the walls.     I had a workbench in the basement........complete with a set of tools.   I'm still a pretty good handygal(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had 5 brothers and no sisters. Almost all my toys were more proper for boys. All my bikes were hand me downs and were all boys bikes. I had baseballs and mits, footballs, soccer balls.

I also did have dolls and paper dolls and coloring books and a really beautiful doll house my Dad & grandpa made for me.And tons of stuffed animals.The real live animals on the farm just weren't enough I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

@MsCatLuver wrote:

Never really thought about my gender as a kid in terms of toy preference..but, will say that I NEVER enjoyed playing with dolls and never wanted a doll for a gift.  Rather I always wanted stuffed animals.  I had a zoo of them (plushy tigers, cats, dogs, a huge long snake, etc) . My mom always joked that I lived in a zoo.  Appropriate as I LOVE animals.

More on point to your question - my brother had tonka trucks, cars, lincoln logs, and model rockets.  When I played with him, we used his toys.

Your post reminded me that we also had Lincoln logs, building blocks and toy trucks and cars.  We also had a mini Singer sewing machine, blackboards, miniature stove, refrigerator and sink.  I guess we never thought in terms of gender as kids either.  Apparently our parents didn't either LOL.

Honored Contributor

I still have a Christmas photo of me at about age seven unwrapping a present.  Next to me was my brand new bride doll and Colt .45 (toy, of course).

Honored Contributor

Loved my baby dolls, Barbie dolls, and everything and anything that could be pink--was my wish.  (Even had pink Rosary beads!)  Light purple would be a second choice.

My brothers were older and their toys weren't around anymore, when I was little.  No interest to me at all, anyway.

But, I still loved to climb trees, build tree forts way, way, WAY up, go fishing (before I realized how cruel it was), cut grass with a tractor, and ride horses bareback.  

So I wasn't afraid to get dirty---loved getting sudzed up in my nightly bath.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I still have a Christmas photo of me at about age seven unwrapping a present.  Next to me was my brand new bride doll and Colt .45 (toy, of course).

Too funny! @geezerette

Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver wrote:

@MsCatLuver

My nieces were exactly the same way.  No dolls for them, just stuffed animals.  They dressed them up in various outfits and made houses for them.  Neither of them ever had a doll.