Esteemed Contributor

WHEN VENDORS DESCRIBE SCENTS.....

i'm so amused-and confused-when vendors try to describe the scent of whatever it is they're trying to sell.....tonight I was listening to the lady selling her NEST fragrance....she was describing, and trying to convince me, to purchase her perfume that smelled like "dewey daffodils."  I would probably have purchased the perfume if I knew exactly what "dewey daffodils" smelled like!!!!!  I wonder how many of us have ever smelled a dewey daffodil........just sayin'.......

Trusted Contributor

Re: WHEN VENDORS DESCRIBE SCENTS.....

LOL. So true! Daffodils don't have much of a scent to begin with. So, a "dewy" one must smell like, ahhh..... water?!

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe she mentioned the scent of dahlias, which I'm very familiar (with), and I haven't noticed any scent, so far.   But, just to make sure, I'll be sniffing several varieties tomorrow!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I believe she mentioned the scent of dahlias, which I'm very familiar (with), and I haven't noticed any scent, so far.   But, just to make sure, I'll be sniffing several varieties tomorrow!

Dewey dahlias were in the other bottle!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're right OP. The other thing that I thought the other day, is that, because it smells great on one person, doesn't mean it will on me. I did make a purchase recently on someone else's say so and luckily I love the scents too. But, it doesn't mean those mixed on me, will smell the same as it is on someone else. So I don't think I'll do blind scent buying anymore. If I can't try it on myself, I may wait on that purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

You're right OP. The other thing that I thought the other day, is that, because it smells great on one person, doesn't mean it will on me. I did make a purchase recently on someone else's say so and luckily I love the scents too. But, it doesn't mean those mixed on me, will smell the same as it is on someone else. So I don't think I'll do blind scent buying anymore. If I can't try it on myself, I may wait on that purchase.

You girls are right on target.  I ordered one perfume once, and the scent was so bad I sent it back ASAP.  So much better to check out scents in person, as this stuff is so, so expensive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone's sense of smell is so different, and individual body chemistry changes the final top note.

When I worked for a major cosmetics company, I also learned that the spices you routinely use in your foods also impact the final scent!    

How anyone can buy a fragrance without smelling it just baffles me.    The descriptions during the presentations really  make me laugh.   (Sorry, QVC) 

Honored Contributor

I have many types of daffodils that have a wonderful fragrance, and if you haven't experienced this fragrance, buy some bulbs.  They make fantastic cut flowers also, and come in many shapes, sizes, and colors. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I like to smell scents in person, put a light amount on my wrist, and wait until the next day to decide.  Anyway, if the Q would send us requested samples of fragrances, there might be fewer returns.  I'm sensitive to many fragrances, and prefer the natural types.  But I have to try them, first.  I can usually tell 'right away', whether or not a fragrance turns my tummy, and/or will give me an allergy induced headache. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to like them, but I know I won't.  I have to smell a scent in person.

If I like it in person, I try it on and see how my body reacts to the scent. 

I generally stay away from florals.