Respected Contributor

Re: WHEN PEOPLE YOU JUST MEET CHANGE YOUR NAME

My situation is just the opposite..... (Using a fake name as an example).....

If my name is Cynthia but I like to go by the nickname Cindy and someone still calls me Cynthia, I know it is usually ......either someone who doesn't know me very well or it's a salesman or some kind of scam caller or when I was younger, my mom calling me cause I did something wrong.  🤷

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I would just ask them to please call me Susan.  I too have a name that can be shortened, and people sometimes do.  

@4kitties 

ITA .....  It's best to just correct them in a quiet, matter of fact way and be done with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Well this thread certainly resonates. We are having dinner with my niece and her boyfriend next week. He has a rather long-ish formal (stiff) sounding name that could easily be shortened. Not like William to Bill or James to Jim, but simply dropping the last part of his name. However, he prefers his full given name. 

I am somewhat (not really) embarrassed to divulge that I am an offender. It is just natural for me to shorten someone's name. I would never call a Susan--Susie, but I might shorten it to Sue.

So, I am who I am. When I was young, my father would say "there is nothing more melodious to someone's ears than hearing their own name." That has stuck with me all these years and I make it a habit to address people by their name--very frequently.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first husband was named Robert.  He'd been Robert his entire life.   We were at a party and met one of the guests.  My husband intoduced himself as Robert, his name.  The guy asked him if he went by Robert or Bob.  He said Robert, of course.  The guy said, ' nice to meet you, Bob'.   I'm not making this up.  So, ask but don't listen I guess was that guys way.

As for me, my name was very popular when I was born so there are a lot of us my age.  I'm called about 3 various combos of my first and middle name + another nickname that has nothing to do with my given name.  I prefer the nickname.  There is one shortened version of my name that is very common but no one calls me that.   If I hear that name , I don't even respond.  Not to be rude just because I've never been called that so it doesn't even register.  

Honored Contributor

My name isn't easily shortened, so I've always envied the Susie Susans of the world and wished someone would give me a nickname. Grass is greenie greener I guess...

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Well this thread certainly resonates. We are having dinner with my niece and her boyfriend next week. He has a rather long-ish formal (stiff) sounding name that could easily be shortened. Not like William to Bill or James to Jim, but simply dropping the last part of his name. However, he prefers his full given name. 

I am somewhat (not really) embarrassed to divulge that I am an offender. It is just natural for me to shorten someone's name. I would never call a Susan--Susie, but I might shorten it to Sue.

So, I am who I am. When I was young, my father would say "there is nothing more melodious to someone's ears than hearing their own name." That has stuck with me all these years and I make it a habit to address people by their name--very frequently.

@magicmoodz   Your first paragraph reminds me of our good friend and his name kind of fits exactly what you are referring to......his name is Chadwick but we all call him Chad...

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

I don't care what they call me as long as they are wonderful and nice to me.  More important things to worry about.  I can only imagine how I would be treated... since I cannot even remember a name five minutes after it is given to me no matter what I do.  Been that way since youth.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I don't care what they call me as long as they are wonderful and nice to me.  More important things to worry about.  I can only imagine how I would be treated... since I cannot even remember a name five minutes after it is given to me no matter what I do.  Been that way since youth.  

@bonnielu   When I started reading your first sentence I thought you were going to say the old joke my father would say..... I don't care what you call me as long as you don't call me late for supper....😍

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have always called my son by his nickname, Andy. And everyone who knows him through us call him that.

When he met his wife she didn't like that his ex girlfriend called him that name and called him, Andrew. Her family, friends, and in business, he is known as Andrew.

Once when I was talking to one of my 3 granddaughters about her dad I mentioned  "Andy"  and she asked, "Who is that?"

My name gets shortened by family and friends. It is the same name as a petite fashion host who shortens everyone's name, including her own which is short enough. However, my name is always spelled wrong! It is a common name but mine is spelled the French way. I always say it is spelled the obviously  correct way. Aim  ee.

Valued Contributor

I have a semi unusual first name but a few "well known nationally" people have the same name which eases pronunciation, so it's usually the spelling that trips people up as there are several variations.

My last name...while few in letters, is ALWAYS a nightmare both in spelling & pronunciation for "new" people. When asked for it, I spell it out rather than saying it & it still takes 5+ tries before they even spell it right! First world problems-I know!