Trusted Contributor

Re: WHEN PEOPLE YOU JUST MEET CHANGE YOUR NAME

With an attitude like that I am surprised she didn't respond with a cuss word. 

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

Always got called by my sisters name. Not even close to my name. I would correct but it never stuck. Even teachers did it to me. 

That's awful!!!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

as a young girl, up to a certain age, I didn't mind the "ie" hooked onto my name.  But then, there came a time that I began asking them to use my "right" name, w/o the "ie" attached. I was becoming a teenager.

@qualitygal I have an "ie" name I despise and a great regret is that I didn't change it to my middle name when I went to college.  I seriously considered it. 

My dad always called me by my middle name but he was the only one. 

Honored Contributor

@catlover 

My name is not like a Richard or Joseph and while the new version leaves out the letter "h", same pronunciation. Heck, wouldn't bother me to be called Joe, my middle name is Joseph. Fact I would like it.

Now as a hockey Youth Hockey Ref?  Up till 11 years old I was called "Mr. Last name". At 13 years old they picked up their parents traits. No more "Mr.", just a whole lot of 4 letter words.

I just like talking with people, and how they address me, I couldn't care less. As long as I know that are talking to me, what term they use is whatever they can remember. Conversation topics are where my mind goes, not how long I have known them.

hckynut   =^..^=

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@catlover wrote:

I think it's so rude and it happens all the time to me.

When you just meet someone and you tell them for example your name is Susan.....how dare you immediately start saying Sue....that is so rude and disrespectful. Did I tell you my name was Sue....have I known you for a while?

No....I just met you and I told you my name was Susan

If this is the only issue that is troubling you in your life, you are blessed. Smiley Happy

Have a wonderful day Susan.

Valued Contributor

I have two young nephews whose names are Robert and William. Occasionally, people who do not know them well will call them Bobby and/or Billy.  Neither has ever gone by those nicknames, and neither is a true shortened version of their name. 

When they were very little, they needed an explanation as to why someone would call them by those names.

Nothing to fret over, but as they get older, I feel they will have to correct people over the Bob and Bill.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't bother me at all. In fact if I had a name like Margaret I would ask to be called Peggy and if I had the name Virginia I would ask to be called Ginny. Same with Victoria, I would ask to be called Tori. Unless I were being called somthing offensive I would not correct someone. 

Respected Contributor

It bothered my Mother more who used to say to me in private she named me the way she did not give me a shortened  version. Feminine to male actually. I hated my name as I got teased.  Older women used to put an ie on the end. 

Men named Edward, Richard and Robert could also be frequently annoyed. Some will correct people. I go along with how I an introduced or what the person's husband or wife uses. 

Honored Contributor

Unless I state, my name is ....... but you can call me....... I prefer my two syllable name.  I happen to like my name and it is short enough where it doesn't need to be clipped.

Valued Contributor

@catlover wrote:

I think it's so rude and it happens all the time to me.

When you just meet someone and you tell them for example your name is Susan.....how dare you immediately start saying Sue....that is so rude and disrespectful. Did I tell you my name was Sue....have I known you for a while?

No....I just met you and I told you my name was Susan

OMG!!!!! Are you kidding me?!!!!! I hope that is the worst thing that ever happens to you!!!