Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN PEOPLE YOU JUST MEET CHANGE YOUR NAME

I have an odd first name that is also hyphenated but could be a derivative of another name.

I have been asked if my name is my real name.

No-it's fake because I'm in witness protection.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I go by Carmela or Carmie.  I get called some crazy name quite often ....I especially get called Carmen, which is a male name in Italian.

My DH's given name is usually a nic name for most.  People assume it is not his real name and correct it.

When We had our first son, I filled out the paperwork at the hospital with his given name.  When we received the hospital certificate, some one corrected his name.

I inquired about the change and was told that they assumed I had made a mistake.  What the heck?!  The person who made the change got some harsh words from me.  I told her I was not a moron and she should have asked first and not made an assumption. She was upset that she had to change the records...she wanted to just use white-out on the certificate, but I refused.

My DH's best friend name is Ricky.  He is 70.  Like my DH, he gets a lot of flack about his name too.  He mostly goes by RIck to make it easy.

My youngest sister often gets her name shortened.  My mother hated it. When she answered the phone and someone asked for her using a shortened version of her name, my mother would say no one lives here with that name and hang up.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

"Is anything more personal than one's name"

@occasionalrain 

To answer your question? To me, yes there is.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't consider it rude when first meeting a new person.  It's just friendly especially with names that can be easy nick-names.

I'm not surprise, though.  Look at the upset we see when nics around here are changed. LOL

This last mess around here changed me to Cakers3 on its own, which I did use somewhere in the past.

I figured it's another glitch and life moves on.

My brilliance will still shine through.  ROTFLOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I can see the OP's point.  I think it's rather rude if you say 'Hi, my name is Susan' and the other person says 'hey, Sue/Susie/etc'.    It just feels a bit disrespectful to me.  If you wanted to be called Sue, etc, you'd introduce yourself as such.   I can't imagine, in a million years, calling somebody differently than the version they choose to be called.  It's not cute.

I actually go by a shortened version of my name so I'm moderately annoyed when I'm called the full name (unless it's a thing with legal docs where I have to use the whole thing), as I hate my first name, probably mostly from having it SCREAMED at me by the so-called mother all those years.   I really do like the short version.  If somebody says 'hi Xxxxxxxx' I will politely say, 'hi I go by Xxxx'.  If they pushed beyond that it would just feel creepy to me.

I have one of those older names that has seen a come-back in recent years.

Valued Contributor

People learn fast when you don't respond to their made-up names.  For most of them, it's their own power trip, especially after being told politely twice.  It's just disrepectful on their part.  They can make the correction or move along - so what?  Not the type of people I want in my circle anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm good as long as I'm not called the B name.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

My nic never got changed and I don't know if I should feel left out or Special.

Respected Contributor

I can definitely relate, as I am a Suzanne who regularly gets changed to Sue or Susan.  It does bother me, but not enough to correct people, because some will take offense at being corrected!  It has taught me to be much more careful about how I address others, and if I'm not sure I will make a point to ask if someone prefers being called by their "full" name or a nickname. 

Honored Contributor

@catlover wrote:

I think it's so rude and it happens all the time to me.

When you just meet someone and you tell them for example your name is Susan.....how dare you immediately start saying Sue....that is so rude and disrespectful. Did I tell you my name was Sue....have I known you for a while?

No....I just met you and I told you my name was Susan

Blown all out of proportion. BTW, my name is Sue. I dropped Susan years ago.

@chickenbuttcalls me all sort of variations. I love it!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland