Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN A FRIENDSHIP IS OVER

@zitawins   If it was me, I would be honest about the gift giving.  My friends stopped the birthday and Christmas gifts several years ago, it was a struggle to find something that was needed or wanted, and if you have to mail something...postage is outrageous now.

One woman in the group still brings it up because she wanted to continue but was voted down...but she complains about a lot of things.

I would not tell her you want to end the friendship...if it is just an email friendship what is the harm?   I am not close with my sister and she emails me on occasion, I respond in kind but rarely reach out except on birthdays, holidays and an occasional message thru the year,  I would never just totaly cut her off.  Your friend might need the connection.

I have a friend of many, many years that I have mentioned in another post, she has become difficult to be around but I would never end the friendship because I know she is unhappy, I just limit my time with her, it works for me.

Honored Contributor

Time passes, and we seem to change over time.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never just ended a friendship.  They usually dissipate on their own!

Esteemed Contributor

I would just tell her I am cutting the budget, so no more gifts.

As for ending the friendship. I would not burn a bridge. Just don’t rush to answer emails, or calls. It will dissipate on its own.

What kind of issues did you confront her about. That would be relevant to give appropriate advice.