Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S UP FOR CHRISTMAS OR CHANUKAH?

I remember watching them make zabaione at Vanessis.

Tried doing it once and thought my arms would come off.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

It's too bad when our favorite restaurants close, isn't it, @Noel7?

Well, with Chanukah coming at the same time as Christmas this year, maybe you and I will both get the chance to plan something that we can do that will celebrate both holidays, regarding food. Smiley Happy

Since we talked about Matzo ball soup, maybe I'll make some, as I haven't made any in awhile, and while I'm at it, I can pick up some latke mix and make some of those, too. Smiley Happy

@Toppers3

I'd love to go over recipes and a menu with you!  I may not be able to do it all at the same time as Christmas, but I will get to it!

Hi @Noel7,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and to this thread.

That would be fun, regarding the recipes!

I do have some recipes from my MIL, that I wrote down. They're my husband's favorite foods that he ate, while growing up. 

I can also check her notebook for recipes and see what's in there. 

She sent me a notebook of recipes. It includes newspaper clippings, and so on. She has passed things on to me. 

She told me that she doesn't cook much anymore, just due to how she's feeling now. She doesn't feel so well from arthritis, so she has taken to preparing ready-made foods that are just easier for her. 

Since some of you were sharing about your family heritages, mine is very mixed.

I grew up with German foods from my Mom's side of the family. They were German. We also have Polish ancestry, too.

On my Dad's side, we're primarily Irish, with some English, Scottish, and some Scandinavian thrown in, too.

My husband's family came from Poland on one side, and from Russia from the other side, and are Jewish. 

Trusted Contributor

We both love Italian food, too. Smiley Happy

I absolutely love Shrimp Scampi, but it's something that I don't make, because I would only be making it for me.

I'd probably eat the whole dish by myself too, because I love it that much! LOL!!

My husband is not much for seafood, but he will eat fish if it's fried. 

He loves pasta and noodles though, so he loves spaghetti. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@hennypenny

@hennypenny wrote:

This has turned into a very interesting thread.

When my father lived in north beach it was mostly Italian. Loved the neighborhood Herb Caen was his neighbor. Loved the little Italian cafes and markets.

mr henny's  family is Scotch Irish Presbyterian. Mine is German Jewish. We mix it all up and our two boys lean towards Buddhism.

As long as we all work to be the kindest and most caring it all works.

Donna, would you share your scampi recipe? I have been making it for years and one of my guests  requested it, she remembers it from when she had it as a child here. It would be fun to try something  a bit different. For the life of me I cant remember the name of the Italian cake from Stellas in SF. Donna, it is a light sponge with cream---my mind is a blank.

We have been having fondue Christmas eve for many years, but are now including two little boys and the thought of fondue pots with them at the table gives me the willies. So we switched the menu around.

@hennypenny  I love and ITA with what you said..."As long as we all work to be the kindest and most caring it all works!"  So true.

Could this be the cake you are talking about?? 

**Edited to remove the link to another retailer for the Stella's Sacripantina Cake

I add sauteed onions and lemon juice to this basic recipe.  I don't use a recipe, but this is very close to what I do.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/shrimp-scampi-pasta-234258

@Barbara-QVC  Sorry, Barbara, about the link. I wasn't thinking about where/how to  purchase of the cake, just the detailed description for henny to look at.  Should have used wiki or some other site.   My apologies.    

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

We've had an artificial tree for several years now.  Last year the lights totally failed toward New Year's Eve.  We looked everywhere this year for the size we wanted.  We ordered one through Home Depot and it was awful.  Even the stand was missing half of itself.

We finally found a beautiful tree to order, a Balsam Hill.  It's up and almost all decorated.  The Christmas Village is also up, finally!

Now comes the clean-up Smiley Happy

xmas