Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT'S UP FOR CHRISTMAS OR CHANUKAH?

Thanks, @Toppers3

We are lucky enough to have several stores in SF that offer a full complement of foods for Chanukah.  

AND!  I had a really nice surprise tonight!  Our daughter showed up with a large container of matzoh ball soup from a restaurant she likes, but it was like homemade.  Fresh dill, shredded chicken, carrot slices and a large matzoh ball, the best I've ever tasted.  I shared it with DH who had said no thanks until he tasted it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Thanks, @Toppers3

We are lucky enough to have several stores in SF that offer a full complement of foods for Chanukah.  

AND!  I had a really nice surprise tonight!  Our daughter showed up with a large container of matzoh ball soup from a restaurant she likes, but it was like homemade.  Fresh dill, shredded chicken, carrot slices and a large matzoh ball, the best I've ever tasted.  I shared it with DH who had said no thanks until he tasted it. 

That's so lovely, @Noel7Smiley Very Happy

What a lovely surprise. There's nothing like homemade Matzo ball soup!

I'm glad your DH decided to try it, and that he changed his mind.

I think that they may be an acquired taste if someone isn't used to them. I grew up eating them, and I love them.

My family used to like eating and trying all different kinds of ethnic foods, and they used to like to go to this one particular favorite restaurant that served Matzo ball soup and other yummy foods like roast brisket of beef.

Matzo balls remind me of a type of dumpling, and I think that if someone likes dumplings, that they would probably like Matzo balls, too. 

We don't have restaurants nearby that make the soup. 

So if we want any here, I have to make it, which I don't mind doing.

It's just easier to me to buy the Matzo ball mix rather than start from scratch, so that's why I use the mix. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3

DH's family is Jewish, he grew up with the food mentioned and I've been eating it it for decades. Everything from kugel to gehakte leber. 

I'm also a fan of gefilte fish with a little horseradish Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Toppers3

DH's family is Jewish, he grew up with the food mentioned and I've been eating it it for decades. Everything from kugel to gehakte leber. 

I'm also a fan of gefilte fish with a little horseradish Woman Wink

That's wonderful, @Noel7Heart

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who likes chicken livers, then. Smiley Wink

I used to like them when we would go to that restaurant that I was mentioning. It's too bad that it closed. Smiley Sad

It was family-owned an run, and I think that they retired from the business. 

They would put chicken liver pate on your table as an appetizer, along with a bread basket with bagels and bialys and matzo crackers, and then they would also bring out some fresh squares of sweet kugel, I think. 

This was before you even got your dinner or sandwich. 

They had the best roast brisket of beef, so that is what I usually ordered. 

My husband and I would go there to eat by ourselves, but my family loved going there so much that it was usually a whole family affair where all of us would go together as a group, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3

That sounds wonderful, delicious!  I love a good brisket.  There used to be a really good restaurant we often went to that was attached to the Jewish Community Center, I always got the braised beef short ribs.  I really miss that place. 

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Toppers3

That sounds wonderful, delicious!  I love a good brisket.  There used to be a really good restaurant we often went to that was attached to the Jewish Community Center, I always got the braised beef short ribs.  I really miss that place. 

It's too bad when our favorite restaurants close, isn't it, @Noel7?

Well, with Chanukah coming at the same time as Christmas this year, maybe you and I will both get the chance to plan something that we can do that will celebrate both holidays, regarding food. Smiley Happy

Since we talked about Matzo ball soup, maybe I'll make some, as I haven't made any in awhile, and while I'm at it, I can pick up some latke mix and make some of those, too. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Just came back to read here. Now I am starving and craving chicken soup and chopped liver.

I am SF born and bred, and moved here for college and never left. The only thing I miss is Blum's (no more) Stellas Bakery in North Beach, and delis. There isn't one stinking deli in this town----grrrr, sniff.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny

There are still good Jewish delis here but most are downtown.  Great for a lot of people but not easy to drop in on from various neighborhoods.

There's a typo in my post on this line showing the Chanukah gingerbread house, it should have read it was made by Stella's bakery Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers3 wrote:

It's too bad when our favorite restaurants close, isn't it, @Noel7?

Well, with Chanukah coming at the same time as Christmas this year, maybe you and I will both get the chance to plan something that we can do that will celebrate both holidays, regarding food. Smiley Happy

Since we talked about Matzo ball soup, maybe I'll make some, as I haven't made any in awhile, and while I'm at it, I can pick up some latke mix and make some of those, too. Smiley Happy

@Toppers3

I'd love to go over recipes and a menu with you!  I may not be able to do it all at the same time as Christmas, but I will get to it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, Noel, I am missing Stellas famous Italian cream cakes. I tried sending one to my son at Tahoe for his birthday. Told them they could name their price, unlimited, but they wouldn't do it.  

After my mother died my father lived in North beach and it was a stop when ever we were visiting him.

Now, I'm not only starving but homesick too.  lol

Will head to Gelson's to get chicken livers, may just sautee with mushrooms and sherry instead of making pate. It's too soon for me to look at poultry or soup. Just finished off the turkey.

Christmas eve will be filet mignons and scampi. A strange combo, but requests from guests. Not sure about sides.  Christmas morning will be lox and bagels and Danish pastries.---- Christmas night will be fondue, two pots; beef, and cheese.