Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT'S UP FOR CHRISTMAS OR CHANUKAH?

@Noel7 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Noel7    I leave the kitchen ones up all year!!!!!

I did, too @Desertdi  I love lights, period.  Target used to carry strings of L.E.D.lights in different colors and I got every one they had.  We string them under the mantle for every possible holiday and keep the amber up all through fall.

@Noel7   I love lights, too.    And the LED's take so little electricity, I have them outdoors in my shrubs all year, too.    One time the HOA  wanted to know why...........and I told them "so the police and fire department can find my house in this pitch-dark subdivision".    They never complained again.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Well since I am alone, will only be doing the minimal in decorating.  Have a small tree I got from the Q several years ago.  Will be putting it in the kitchen on top of the antique barrister bookcase I have just under the kitchen window.  Anyone driving through the drive-thru can see it when they go through, and I can see it from the sofa in the living room.  Will have a wreath on the front door and back door.  as I have done for a number of years.  Have some really pretty Christmas hand towels I will put out in the bathroom, and some very pretty towels and apron I hang in the kitchen.  That's about it for me.  Don't have the energy to do any more than that..

Frequent Contributor

Well. to give the Chanukah response - no decorating is done for Chanukah unless you count the menorah, candles and putting my collection of dreidels around the menorah as decoration.  But I always take a walk in my neighborhood in the evening around Christmas to see the displays.  Love to see the lights.  We have one street where anyone who has lights only have the white lights - boring!  Love the houses that have the multicolor lights - my opinion, of course!!!  Those multicolor light displays give me a warm and cozy feeling!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Noel7    I leave the kitchen ones up all year!!!!!

I did, too @Desertdi  I love lights, period.  Target used to carry strings of L.E.D.lights in different colors and I got every one they had.  We string them under the mantle for every possible holiday and keep the amber up all through fall.

@Noel7   I love lights, too.    And the LED's take so little electricity, I have them outdoors in my shrubs all year, too.    One time the HOA  wanted to know why...........and I told them "so the police and fire department can find my house in this pitch-dark subdivision".    They never complained again.   di

@Desertdi

That's brilliant!

Honored Contributor

That's perfect @ShowMe  You've done a lot and I know your home looks beautiful and will be cheery.

You know I wish you all the best for this holiday season and for Christmas Heart

Honored Contributor

Image result for funny  christmas decorating quotes

Honored Contributor

@seamus2 wrote:

Well. to give the Chanukah response - no decorating is done for Chanukah unless you count the menorah, candles and putting my collection of dreidels around the menorah as decoration.  But I always take a walk in my neighborhood in the evening around Christmas to see the displays.  Love to see the lights.  We have one street where anyone who has lights only have the white lights - boring!  Love the houses that have the multicolor lights - my opinion, of course!!!  Those multicolor light displays give me a warm and cozy feeling!

Hi @seamus2

I love the idea of displaying your collection of dreidels. Are you cooking anything to mark the occasion?  Most of my friends are Jewish as is my husband's family.  Quite a few decorate, not only for the kids but special touches here and there around the house.  I know that's not true for everyone, though.

Happy Chanukah to you Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

@Noel7 - Thanks for your comment.   I always make latkes - potato pancakes - and serve them with a choice of sour cream and applesauce.  It's a joyous holiday - it's considered a minor holiday - not very religious.  I know lots of families decorate their homes for Chanukah with lights and even Chanukah blow-ups outside.  Unfortunately there seems to be a need to compete with Christmas as far as gift giving and decorations go. I love to listen to Christmas music, watch Christmas movies and go to the malls to soak up the holiday joy!  And I love to visit friends and neighbors who celebrate Christmas on Christmas day bringing my chocolate chip cookies and looking at their beautiful decorations inside and out - I don't feel any need to copy the Christmas traditions - you have a lovely, special holiday and I have mine!  Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Holidays to all!

Honored Contributor

@seamus2  I love latkes!  DH's mother made the very best I've had.  I cheat and get them from Trader Joe's.

I see Chanukah starts the eve of Dec. 24 thru New Year's Day this year, have a wonderful celebration Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We celebrate both holidays. mr henny and I come from different backgrounds.

Will light the menorah, and then have fondue for dinner, which is a favorite with the family.

As seamus said Chanukah is a minor holiday, and not terribly religious, so I don't feel a conflict.

I love any excuse for a celebration. It is a happy time of year, and I love including everyone!

My latkes are terrible but I attempt to make them during Chanukah. I love them with sour cream, the rest love them with applesauce.