Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S THE MOST STUPID THING YOU'VE EVER DONE?

[ Edited ]

Well according to my husband, I live in the "land of stupid", I say I am creative, adventurous and self reliant.

But...to give some background.  We live in the country and are permitted to do open burning (paper type/cardboard).  The area we burn is a distance away from the house.  About 20 years ago, I decided to do some burning.  I was home alone, husband off somewhere and neighbor not home.

I am out there tending the fire and it starts to migrate, starting dry leaves on fire in the wooded area.  I panic and run for the hose, but it won't reach that far.  I try filling up buckets of water, but the little areas of fire keep spreading.  I am beating them down with a shovel.  In my head, I know I am going to have to call the fire department soon if I don't get this under control.  My heart was beating a mile a minute.  Thank goodness my husband returns and between the two of us we stopped the spread.  But being a country girl I really should have known better.

After receiving an ear beating from DH, we went out that day and bought a burn barrel.

Respected Contributor

It would be a long list, but one thing does still stand out in my mind even though it happened many years ago.  When I first bought my condo in 1991, I was all gung ho with decorating, etc.  I bought a 5'x8' rug to cover my upstairs full bathroom floor.  I then carefully cut it all around the vanity, the toilet, etc. and set it down neatly on the floor.  I was so proud of how well I had done the shaping because the fit was perfect.

Many years later, I was at a neighbor's condo and happened to be in their upstairs bathroom.  I noticed on the (bare) floor they had a heat register, and I thought......geez, no wonder my bath room is always so cold.  Why didn't they put one of those in my condo?  Yeah.......you already guessed it.  I went home and lifted up the rug and........voila!  There it was!

This experience has been a positive for me in one important way, however.  These days, at 68, I often wonder about my mind power.  I find it so reassuring knowing that it's probably not dementia.......I've always been this way!   

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Called my son, at work, and complained that I couldn't find my cell phone....  "You must have taken mine by mistake, or moved it and didn't tell me.  Think, think, were did you put my cell phone?  I've got to call my hair stylist to tell her I'll be late.  I'm sweating now.  Why is it I have to go behind you to find scissors, or my coffee mug. Please call my phone."

Uh huh, I was talking on my cell phone.

"I love you son." 

As per usual, he just said, "I love you too mom." I could hear the faceplant through the phone.

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I've done many, many stupid things.

But one always pops into my mind, because right after I did it, I thought to myself "how could I have done such a stupid thing.  What was I thinking?"

This happened when we were still using cassette tapes in our car tape players.  Before CDs became popular, making tapes obsolete.

If tapes were left out in a cold car, they didn't play properly for a while, the sound was distorted.

I was leaving for work, and realized I had left my then-favorite tape overnight in the cold, cold car, so I went out to retrieve it, thinking that maybe I could warm it up slightly....guess where?....in the microwave.

Of course, it immediately burned up, I think I heard a weird buzzing, or crinkling sound, and I knew this was a ridiculous thing to do.  But, okay, I'm not very "technically" or scientifically bright, so I guess I thought I could warm it up like the cup of coffee I took with me for my ride to work.

That was the end of that tape, so I had to buy a replacement.

I still laugh at myself for thinking that would work.

I did something similar. An important fax arrived at our company and it had somehow gotten wrinkled in being handed off. I wanted it smooth to present to the big cheese, but instead of photocopying it, for some reason I decided to iron it (we had a full set-up for overnight stays, so the iron was handy).

It was thermal paper. I'll never forget how I felt when I saw that big brown iron-shaped blot appear. Thank goodness the fax machine had memory and I was able to spit out another copy.

Honored Contributor

My first husband comes to mind....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Mine can be categorized as "Stupid Funny". It may not be the most stupid thing I've ever done, but it was the first thing that came to mind...

DH called me at home. Said he left his keys in the ignition and was locked out of his car. He asked me to bring him his extra set of car keys from home. I had about a 30 minute drive. It was a sweltering hot day and I was concerned about him standing outside in the heat and sun, so I said, "Why don't you sit in the car until I get there -- at least you won't be in the sun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago we were living in an apartment complex temorarily before our big move.

The common area for washing machines was a floor below us.  I would use a wind up timer   so that I could go down and get my clothes out of the washer and or dryer in a timely manner.

Anyway, I had a batch of cookies baking in the oven with the oven timer set.  When it rang, I went downstairs to check on my laundry and stood there wondering why my laundry wasn't finished.

In the meantime, the cookies stated to burn.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Last week, my hubby and I had spent the day shopping, had lunch out, went to a movie and were planning to stop for dinner before going home. It was a hot, sweaty day & it had been many hours since I showered. I ducked into Nordstrom's Ladies' Room to freshen up.

In my huge handbag (besides the kitchen sink), I carry those moist towelettes for  "feminine freshening" wrapped in individual foil packets. I also have foil packets of alcohol cleaners for my readers (same size and shape. Know where this is going? Being in a rush & w/o my glasses, I reached for the wrong packet and began to freshen up w/ alcohol!! I think they heard me scream downstairs in the shoe dept. I ran to the sink, pants around around my ankles, for wet paper towels and soap. Wow!!!! Never will make that mistake again!!!!

What is the most stupid thing you have ever done?

@Shanus

LOL     I hope you were exaggerating.  If not, please share what you said to all the people that came running, with you standing there with your pants around your ankles.  That would have been the best part of the story.   

Trusted Contributor

Marry my husband

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@chiclet wrote:
The list would be too long.

Mine too.

Ditto, more lately going through the big "M" Woman LOL