Super Contributor

Re: WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE......

I think smart is education and being wise is something that you are born with.  By the way, how was it determined that a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable?

A house is not a home without a cat!
Honored Contributor

I see being wise as putting our cumulative experiences together with what we have been taught and learned, all to deal with life for the greater good.

Being smart is usually an innate intelligence combined with learning. 

A person can be one or the other, both or neither.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I am 50% smart.40% wise,and 10%   SMART ASS HUMOROUS FUNNY BUMPER CAR STICKER/Vinyl DECAL Art by Top ...

Honored Contributor

Common sense is basically good judgement, not realy involving academic learning. .

People who are incredibly bright can also be unaware of small things at times, think of the old jokes about the absent-minded professor.  I don't see that as being without common sense.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Age old question, smart as in intelligence, we are all born with different IQ's, what we make of it & how we use it is up to us.  Wise as in street wise is probably akin to common sense, to do the "right" thing, being aware, & quick on the uptake.  If you have both & use it wisely, you are indeed very fortunate.

My favorite expression:  Most people today are educated beyond their intelligence!

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I am 50% smart.40% wise,and 10%   SMART ASS HUMOROUS FUNNY BUMPER CAR STICKER/Vinyl DECAL Art by Top ...

I'm probably the reverse, but it works! Smiley Wink

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Having wisdom means also bring value to one's intelligence.  In other words, a person might have learned many things, but needs wisdom to know how to apply them or even whether to apply them.  Not to mention, to whom to apply them!

It's true there is the saying "intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit but wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad."  Wisdom actually goes beyond that.  

Suppose you mixed tomatoes with nectarines.  That could be good.  Or tomatoes with plenty of other fruits.  As a matter of fact, a quick Google search brings up plenty of recipes.  So maybe wisdom is more than taking things at face value/first glance/initial impression?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@Catfancy1 wrote:

I think smart is education and being wise is something that you are born with.  By the way, how was it determined that a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable?

If it has seeds it is technically a fruit.  Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and a host of other "vegetables" are actually fruits.

However, there is an 1893 Supreme Court ruling that says tomatoes are vegetables which just goes to show that the current Court is not the only one to get things wrong.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Super Contributor

Being smart is having knowledge, being wise is knowing what to do with that knowledge.