Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT RECENT PRICES HAVE SHOCKED YOU THE MOST?

A small Subway salad costs over $11.00. I won't do that again. No salad prices were posted.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

The essentials=FOOD!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I shop for alternatives whenever possible, I do without paper towels and use microfiber cleaning cloths. And I will do that rather than pay those prices.

Where I live a quart of light cream is nowhere near $7.50. I shop for food alternatives all the time too if something is too expensive.

Inflation is happening just as badly in Europe and in so many other countries, whether some want to believe that or not. Same goes for price gouging.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@chessylady    Thanks for the reminder not to go there.  No more $5 Footlongs either, I guess!  

Honored Contributor

Last week my IGA had 1lb rolls of Gunnoe's sausage for $4.79, up from 2 for $5.  This week IGA has chicken breasts priced at $3.39 lb.  1 lb pack of Hormel pepperoni is $7.98 this week.  None of these will be in my cart.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not shocked anymore, everything has gone up. It use to be peaches, nectarines, and plums would go on sale in the Summer, they have stuck at $3.99 a pound. The cheapest I have seen cherries are $3.99 a pound. Paper towels and toilet paper have really gone up in price, nothing you can do about it, either you buy or you don't. 

Valued Contributor

I find that shopping from the supermarket weekly flyers is very helpful in saving big money.  To the poster who said Stop & Shop light cream was $7.49, I think S&S has always been high for that item.  In my area right now a quart of light cream is $3.79

at BJs Wholesale Club or Market Basket.  Stop & Shop redeem themselves on soda and ground beef.

The thing I noticed is milk.  Just a couple of months ago Market Basket occasionaly featured Hood milk (a New England favorite) for $2.99 a gallon.  Right now it ranges from $4.69 to $4.90 a gallon.

Some cuts of steak have been on sale for $6.99-$8.99 a pound, but a really good cut 

costs about the same as a weekend on Cape Cod.

Respected Contributor

Cat litter, food, and paper products.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

Grocery Outlet has lots of bargains. It's like a scavenger hunt, you never know what will be there. But the prices of most things are quite a bit lower than chain grocery stores.

Honored Contributor

Do many here purchase any of their household necessity items (like tp, paper towels, vitamins, otc meds, etc, etc) from Amazon?

I think I save a fair amount, plus I have items on auto-delivery and they give another 5% to 15% off on AD items.  most of mine have a 15% discount.