Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT PLANS HAVE YOU MADE FOR YOUR MOM FOR MOTHER'S DAY?

@Shanus wrote:

@sophiamarie. Yes, it was me. When tax season was over on 4/18, Mom had wanted to go to the mountains, but ended up w/ MRSA and couldn't make the trip. We'll reschedule for the fall. She said the summer would be too hot for her. Thanks for asking.

Sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope she's over it.  At her age, (or any age) it's not good.  What mountains are you talking about - the Catskills???  

Take care....Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My mom passed away in '98. I plan on bringing some fresh-cut flowers to her place of rest. She was a gardener and she loved flowers.Heart Miss her dearly.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

My Mom passed away in October 2014 and I really choose not to think about the day at all

I feel your pain....my mom passed away when I was 30..that was in 1981...and I spent many Mother's Day full of sorrow...I miss her.....

@nana59@I am still oxox and to anyone else that's lost their mom I too feel your pain.  My Mom passed away Christmas 86 and this day has never been the same although my only son will call me and that will mean just as much as any bells and whistles anyone could receive.  Heart

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I never got to do that since my mom died when I was 22. She was only 47. I miss her. Enjoy your Mother's Day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are going to celebrate with my mom on that Saturday! We are going to have the grandkids over, and then we are going to order from Red Lobster(one of her favs) and then let her open her gifts! On Sunday, my daughters are coming down again, and going to church  with me and hubby, and then hubby is going to throw some chicken and steaks on the grill, and we are going to have a nice relaxing afternoon...... Where we live, every place and I mean every place is packed on Mother's Day!!!!!We used to go out to eat after church, but the service wasn't great, and you felt rushed, because there were so many people waiting in line to get in....... 

Honored Contributor

My mother passed away 2 years and a couple of months ago. Years ago, I always felt that when she passed I'd be devastated and that Mother's Day would be horrendous for me ever after, but...not so.

I was desperately attached to my mother for most of my life. She could do no wrong, and I worshipped her. I obsessed about her.

But an odd thing happened once she died. I have been able to confront my lies to myself, and understand that she never loved me half as much as I believed I loved her, and that any mother-daughter relationship between us was almost 100% my doing. I put forth the effort, made the plans (or tried to) for every occasion - Mother's Day, birthday, Xmas - and she tolerated it, at best.

I can be honest with myself about her now - about the kind of person she was and how she "mothered" (or rather, didn't) and made her life choices.

Occasionally, I miss the few scattered memories of feeling close to her or the two of us enjoying each other's company - but those memories are few and far between. I don't hate my mother, but I stopped fooling myself into idealization when the reality wasn't there.

On Mother's Day these days I celebrate the living, loving mothers in my family who demonstrate their bonds with their children every day. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

My Mom passed away Christmas Day 2013.  I celebrate her every day in my heart and with my memories of her.

For all those lucky enough to celebrate with their Moms, and for all Moms out there, whether to 2 legged children or 4  ...  have an exceptional day.  HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie. I wish it were the Catskills.... My old stomping grounds where I was born and family had a hotel.  Just going to the NC mountains. NY too far a trip for her now.

This is her second bout w/ MRSA. In assisted living situations where everyone is in such close proximity, her doc explained to me that some folks are "carriers" w/o symptoms, but give it to others. The antibiotics for treatment are quite strong.  Appreciate your concern, though. She's doing well and on last 2 days of meds.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee. Bringing flowers is a very thoughtful gesture.

Honored Contributor

Both my parents lived a pretty long life and passed away not that long ago. Mother's Day is not hard for me as Mom had terrible Alzheimer's. I thanked G.. when she died as she was so very tortured. So at least it is not so bad for me on this day.