Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT IS THE MAIN THING YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF A DINING EXPERIENCE?

[ Edited ]

We hardly ever eat out and when we do, it's for lunch.  We had lunch out Thursday and Friday this week.

We went to a new Thai restaurant and to a NM place we'd never been to.   The Thai place was just OK but the NM place was really good.  Or so my husband thought.   I can barely taste food anymore but I really enjoyed the NM place.  We were the only ones in the restaurant because it was around 3:00 .  

The food was fresh and hot and well prepared.  That's what I look for now.   We both ate everything on our very large plates.  I threw my low carb diet out the window for one day.  It was great.

Honored Contributor

I love that question, @tends2dogs .   I like favorite food that I wouldn't be likely to make at home (or make very well, ha).  So I'd like a superb Indian, Thai or Middle Eastern restaurant, with a sumptuous, luxe atmosphere. 

Immaculate linen table cloths, shimmering candles.  A hushed, but pleasantly convival atmosphere, with other diners chatting discreetly.  Calm, utterly professional wait staff attentive to every detail.  The whisper of tantalizing dessert carts going by.

Lightly, in the background, ongoing jazz or Tin Pan Alley.

Sparkling conversation....

For some reason, in beautiful restaurants, I love and am comforted by the delicate *clink* of heavy teaspoons stirring fragrant, after-dinner coffee....   maybe because as a child, scalding black coffee was such a relaxing ritual for my Mother after a pleasant restaurant meal.....  She and my Dad would chat desultorily, sip their coffee, and all was right with the world....

I'm probably forgetting something, but those hit a lot of the highlights!   We do at least have a great Pakistani restaurant near us, that never disappoints.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I eat out way too much as I hate cooking and DH doesn't cook. To those who do cook and enjoy it, how do you not get in a rut deciding what to fix day after day?

@KKJ, I'm lucky to have a husband who is the best chef ever. If a recipe says to mince, my lord he minces. I would have just chopped the darn thing.

My role is to choose the meals and shop for them. As to how I choose, I want variety, so each week would have something vegetarian, something with chicken, and the maybe something with beef or pork. Whatever the recipe, it has to be fairly healthful. Also, we both prefer not use shortcuts -- fewer processed food like using canned soup instead of a sauce.

My husband with often look the recipes on the NYT Times site and give me some. Otherwise, I choose from our cookbooks. Last count we had a ridiculous number, so we don't buy them anymore. Our collection days are over.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 Wow, I do envy you as my DH does not cook at all. But in his defense, he works very long hours and I def. have more time to do it.  It's not the cooking itself so much but the meal planning that gets to be such drudgery, and also we don't like the same things. For instance, he loves steak but I do not, and I can't cook it to where it comes out right.  Also, he doesn't like chicken so that's out.   Usually it's something with ground beef and that gets tiring.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

I do not eat out, and it's been decades since I have done so, on any type of regular basis. If and when I do, I want to get Nutrition.

hckynut 

@hckynut 

Ditto! for me. I can't remember when I last ate in a restaurant. It has been so long. I have a thing about not being able to see what goes into my food. 

Valued Contributor

The nice atmosphere, good food and portions, good servers, not noisy but not too quiet either, talking to the servers we know, nice conversation, relaxing. We used to go out to eat twice on the weekends, but haven’t done so since the beginning of March, 2020. Hopefully soon.
Honored Contributor

I like to eat foods that I don't make at home!  They are either too time consuming for me, or are composed of ingredients I don't keep on hand.  

it always surprises me when I eat out with other women, who order salads.  These are easy to make at home, and I do so too often.  

Valued Contributor

Wanted to add that we usually stick with the same four or five restaurants, where we know everything is very good.
Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@suzyQ3 Wow, I do envy you as my DH does not cook at all. But in his defense, he works very long hours and I def. have more time to do it.  It's not the cooking itself so much but the meal planning that gets to be such drudgery, and also we don't like the same things. For instance, he loves steak but I do not, and I can't cook it to where it comes out right.  Also, he doesn't like chicken so that's out.   Usually it's something with ground beef and that gets tiring.

@KKJ, believe me, I feel very fortunate. I think the fact that neither of us are solely meat and potato people helps. We both love just about all ethnic dishes -- Asian, Mexican, Italian, Indian, etc.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Eating out for us probably boils down to entertainment.  

I appreciate not having to meal plan and that the kitchen stays clean.  We normally went out for a late lunch or early dinner -- linner -- two or three times a week.  

Several of our favorite restaurants went out of business BEFORE the pandemic due to development in our town.