Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT GIFTS ARE YOU SICK OF? Fess up, be honest!

For me, PLEASE:   no more holiday coffee mugs, no more purse size Avon hand lotion and emery boards, or Avon shower gel, no more holiday couch pillows, no scarves (I don't like things around my neck!), no signs to hang on the wall, no jeweled or blinked out key rings, or holiday jewelry, and no more lighthouses!   

For several years I collected beautiful snow globes and lighthouses.  I purposely didn't tell my friends about my collection, as the pieces I chose are very specific, and I did not want just any snow globe or lighthouse.   All it took was for my husband to bring one of my girlfriends in thru the garage and my TV room, for her to see my collection.   Thus started the gifts of anything snow globe or lighthouse!      I finally had to say that I have stopped collecting in order to get those gifts to stop.    

Honored Contributor

I mentioned in another post the umbrella that's been passed around Phoenix for years........................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I don't need any more flashlights, vases, or picture frames.  If someone wants to be practical, I could use fresh  batteries for all those flashlights I've received in years past, lol.  

I agree with others in the scented products as well. Even if I like a particular scent, my lungs violently disagree. I need unscented products.

I've received many wallets, and most of them do not get used. I carry small bags, so I need small wallets. Or none at all if the bag has organization inside.

And I'll be the lone dissenter here, but I don't like receiving candy. At least from people who know I am diabetic! Or nuts when I have a severe tree nut allergy.  That shows me that absolutely zero thought went into the gift!  Or worse, maybe they wish I'd croak and the candy/nuts were some sort of message???   lol not really...I just know they didn't think about the gift one bit.  Still, I say thank you, and pass along any candy I receive to my daughter.   

Honored Contributor

I'll take all the unwanted scarves from any of you who have too many!  They don't take up much space, and I often find a use for one I've never worn before...just did that today.

I have to add an item to my unwanted list...coffee mugs.  Yes, I have way too many.  Some are stored in boxes and I should probably just donate them.  I usually use the same one every morning, and a different favorite one every night for tea.  And I have dozens of nice ones for guests.  Please, no more 

Frequent Contributor

Without sounding like an ingrate, I almost always have to give away anything that contains fragrance.  I'm extremely sensitive to the majority of scents.  Although close friends/family know this, there are a few people related to my work that give me gifts.  I am always thankful for their thoughtfulness, and I feel in my heart that it would be inconsiderate to say anything.

A bottle of wine/alcohol is another pet peeve of mine.  When I worked in an office environment, I was usually given a couple of bottles of whatever by co-workers.  I don't drink (I have nothing against alcohol -  it's just not my taste), so I would end up re-gifting (to friends, with full disclosure).

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Hmmmm.  None of us have said "CANDY" so far have we?  LOL

@SoonerWoman LOL I look forward to our chocolate from Sweden every year from our son and daughter-in-law. One of the best gifts everHeart

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

The other day, while out shopping, a woman and I were talking as we looked at costume jewelry. There were some ornaments on the same table and she mentioned that she was going to a party and she needed an ornament for the ornament exhange they were having. I didn't even know people still did that. She ended up picking out a $10 ornament.

It wasn't my party, but I would think that people (unless they're just starting out) don't need or want any more ornaments. She looked like she was in her 50's or 60's.

@Daisy SunflowerI'm 64 and still buy at least one or two new ornaments for my trees. Yes, I have more than one. Different themes.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think my DH got the memo that I don't want or need anything with the New England Patriots' emblem on it.  Yes, they are my favorite team, but....

Trusted Contributor

The only gifts I receive are from my husband, and daughter and her family.  They know what I like.  Smiley Wink

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde@homedecor1

The chicken/rooster thing happened to me because my daughter saw a picture of me when I was about 3 years old carrying around Archie, my pet chicken.  I even got chicken salt and pepper shakers.  They had a contest on who could find the ugliest chicken.  Finally it stopped!!