Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT GIFTS ARE YOU SICK OF? Fess up, be honest!

[ Edited ]

Nothing I'm really sick of.  

I don't give people candles, mugs, scented beauty products (unless they specifically ask for something), dish towels, flashlights, dusters, little tubes of hand lotion or lip balm, or  any other doo-dads

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Hmmmm.  None of us have said "CANDY" so far have we?  LOL

ANd you'll never hear it from me!

Honored Contributor

I only have three people who ever give me gifts. My mom virtually never misses the mark. She knows me and what I like and want. She usually just waits till I ask for something.

My son does a great job, and always gets me something way different, and I think because he is my kid, he could give me dog doo and I'd be thrilled and find a way to incorporate it! It's a mom thing.

My husband isn't a very good gift giver most of the time, but he doesn't get repetitive with his missing the mark. He is really creative with making it a different thing that has me scratching my head each year! LOL

Respected Contributor

No Christmas ornaments, sweets, or costume jewelry please.

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

Oh, No - I just bought a throw for a co-worker.  Thanks for making me feel like I'm giving a gift that people are sick of.

I have enough throws to start a store, but I still love more. In my opinion, they get ratty over time, are reduced to car blankets or dog/cat blankets, and there is always room for a new one.

If your co-worker isn't pleased, I'll send you my address!LOL

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Woman LOLHmmmm.  None of us have said "CANDY" so far have we?  LOL

Oh now, don't be silly!  Smiley Happy

We don't do gifts anymore, but every now and then somebody (a neighbor, or somebody the husband works with,etc) will send over some kind of food item that just looks - let's just say, not so good.

I'm VERY food-neurotic, so I won't eat just anything.  Of course, I'm always gracious and they never know.  But - ewww!  hehe

What if I cooked it in a Le Creuset pot you don't have and have ALWAYS wanted and sat at the table with you and said "After you have the candy in it you can keep the pot. . . ?"  NOW what?

Woman LOL 

Welllll, if it's YOU - that's a whole 'nother thing.   Come on over, but you can keep the pot and take some more with you.  I hope you like Red, Black, and Dune.  Smiley Happy

Oh, and it's candy?  Well, I haven't said no to candy yet.  Anything milk chocolate with coconut, peanut butter, marshmallow, mint.  Yeah, that.  Smiley Happy

What I've usually seen is cookies, or some other unidentifiable, that appear to have seen better days and don't look clean.  Smiley Wink

@chickenbutt

Fudge?  Mother's special recipe!  And you KNOW RED is the color of the Sooners, and Dune is my go-to basic color!  Matter of fact, come to think of it the square fudge-worthy pan is DUNE.  How DID you know?  LOL!  We would have fun wouldn't we???  

Respected Contributor

I always get socks in my stocking, which I ask for and need. I guess the slipper socks must be displayed right next door because my husband would also give me slipper socks every year.  I don't even wear them and finally told him I didn't need any more slipper socks.  Same with BBW body lotion.  I ask for shower gel and always get the matching lotion.  

My son might be sick of getting wine bottle stoppers and sleep pants in his stocking from me lol

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Gift cards to specific places that I haven't gone to and don't want to...like restaurants or a department store. I have a stack of them, some are 10 years old or more. Every once in a while one of my kids will use one of them, but they aren't comfortable taking them from me.  They want to give me cash in exchange for them. I wish they would just take them and be done with it.  They are going to waste.

I hate most gift cards.  I would use a gift card for groceries or gas though.

Most people think that gift cards are the best gifts, but I don't care for them as a rule either.

I will gladly give them to people I know want or need them but I don't particularly like to receive them, usually because they aren't from a place I wish to frequent.

Trusted Contributor

Whether as a gift or a prize, we do not need any more water bottles. I have 2 that I like and use, and so does hubby. That's plenty.

Honored Contributor

I don't like gift cards either.

I always thought, why not just give me money and I can spend it where I want?

A lot of younger relatives have lost or totally fogotten they even had them or just never got around to getting something.

Also if they don't drive, it makes the parents take them to that store-one more errand or chore at a busy time of year.

Sometimes they can be okay if someone ordinarily would not feel comfortable spending money on themselves at a favorite store and with a gift card, they have to go ahead, or if they specifically ask for a gift card to some store, that seems ok.

But for me, that is just a big reason I don't like them for myself-one more obligation to do something or go somewhere and sometimes I get there and can't find anything I really want. What if I don't feel like going to one more place to get something!I'd rather take a nap lol!

And though I have loved jewelry, scarves, throws, cups, in the past, I don't have anymore room for stuff and want to keep simplifying and paring down as well.And I am kind of picky about materials used.

If people ask what you like, I have what I think of as a not so good tendency to go out and get it myself to make sure its what I like! Like a lot of people have said , I know what I like, be it candles or anything.

But I do appreciate thoughtful gifts where you know the giver has thought of you and your personality in the gift.

And there are some really thoughtful gifts that maybe everyone would appreciate.

When my nephew got married, his wife gathered lavender from her yard that she had grown and made little soaps for everyone. She also made her own tiny bottles of hand sanitizers that were pretty! How amazing is that?!

And some people just have the gift of good gift giving and others do not even though thy may mean well.

The same as some who are good wrappers and some who are notWoman Sad

My favorite way to get gifts for others is to get something when I think of them or how it looks like them. Then I have a hard time waiting for a birthday or Christmas togive it to them!

That is why Christmas gift giving can be hard I think, cause you have to get something in a certain time frame and what if you just don't see the right thing? Then you end up getting something just to get something and those gifts do tend to end up given away or kept cause you don't want to hurt someone's feelings.

aiyiyi-sorry for the length but such a topic for discussionWoman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"