Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT GIFTS ARE YOU SICK OF? Fess up, be honest!

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Anything that is impractical.  The older I get, the more I appreciate items that can be used or used up.  Pens, socks, those little pads of paper that you can use for grocery lists, liquor.

I don't want knickknacks.  I don't want a gift that makes me think you have no idea who I am.  It's like the earrings I received from someone.  Large balls on hooks and printed on the balls was Portland Trail Blazers.

Am I from Portland?  Am I a Trail Blazers fan?  Do I even like basketball?  No.  Would I ever wear these?  Never.

One of the oddest gifts I ever received.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Shopper Mania wrote:

I would like for someone to get me really nice high quality socks. Just a couple pair would be fine, not white but something I can wear with jeans and loafers. Not a dozen pair in a bag from you know where. It's something I never think to buy myself until I'm getting dressed and wish I had some. I bet I'm not the only one.

I love good quality socks. I need the plus size sock for my long, narrow feet. When I find them in cute patterns, I buy 'em! And this size is usually good quality because it isn't sold by the millions.

Respected Contributor

@just bee maybe they were wrapping multiple gifts and the wrong tag was attached? I have done that before with my kids' gifts after a long night of wrapping.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@just bee maybe they were wrapping multiple gifts and the wrong tag was attached? I have done that before with my kids' gifts after a long night of wrapping.

Nope.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Gift cards to specific places that I haven't gone to and don't want to...like restaurants or a department store. I have a stack of them, some are 10 years old or more. Every once in a while one of my kids will use one of them, but they aren't comfortable taking them from me.  They want to give me cash in exchange for them. I wish they would just take them and be done with it.  They are going to waste.

I hate most gift cards.  I would use a gift card for groceries or gas though.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm with others here with the candles and scarfs.   There is one and only ONE candle that I like and that is Bath and Body Works Fresh Balsam.  I buy them for winter.   

And please don't give me a big, ole, long scarf.  I hate anything around my neck.  

And then the cookies.  I have a couple of friends who make them every year and there isn't one in the bunch that I like.   Now, I love a good home made bakery item but their cookies are awful.  

I will, however take any soft neutral throw you want to send my way.

Trusted Contributor

Another vote for candles. With two kids and two cats, we never light candles in our home.

Also no Xmas stuff please. By the time the holiday arrives. I'm already tired of it.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

Nope.

Terrible gift, I have to agree!!!!

Honored Contributor

Nothing at this time.  I used to receive a lot of vases.  I got some that were delivered with flowers in them, and also got many given to me, empty.

I would box up 10 or so/year and donate them.  

these take up up a lot of storage space and seldom get used in my home.  I might need one at a time...and not even too often.