Regular Contributor

Re: WHAT GIFTS ARE YOU SICK OF? Fess up, be honest!

Thanks for making me feel better

Trusted Contributor

All things scented!

I am extremely bothered by scented things…flowers, candles, sachets, perfumes, those pots for simmering heated scents, etc. I can’t stand scented things…at best I get a headache and some make me sick to my stomach. I have shared this with everyone I know for years and yet somehow I keep getting this type of item (I hope they are not doing it to intentionally make me sick – but sometimes I wonder). When the item is presented it is always preceded by some comment like…”I know you can’t stand scented things….BUT….this is mild, or this is sooooooo good, or this is my favorite so I know you will like it”, etc. None of these items makes it into my house, it all has to be given to someone who knows I got it as a gift and knows I can’t keep it, or it goes to Goodwill. Such a waste of money & time! And it frustrates me to no end knowing they either don’t care or don’t really listen (they hear me because they acknowledge it, but to really listen you would understand this would be unwanted). I have started to totally eliminate all gift giving with the people who fall into this category. Less hassle, less frustration, less stress. Happy Holidays!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

Oh, No - I just bought a throw for a co-worker.  Thanks for making me feel like I'm giving a gift that people are sick of.

@joann1218  Not everyone feels that way.  I love throws and would be happy to get one as a gift, even though I already have several.  I can always find a place or use for one more!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I just don't care for anything that seems like no thought whatsoever was put into it. I would rather have a card with a heartfelt message than something bought on the fly,or out of duty. 

Office gifts are usually exactly that - something bought out of duty, custom, it'll be weird if you're the only one who doesn't, etc. That's why so many candles, scarves, little tubes of hand creams, etc. You may "have" to do it, but no, there's really not much thought put into it - or any more thought than was put into what you get from co-workers - and often less thought, i.e. less-than-none. BT;DT.

One year I received a tube of unscented geriatric-type hand cream of the type that is given out free or $2 in the drugstore.. The gifter had far, far more money to gift with than I did and always bragged about expensive gifts she gave and got. But this was how much thought she'd put into gifting people she really didn't want to bother about. I was one of about 5 people who were gifted similarly. I would much rather she'd just said "I forgot this year, people" than do what she did. I was ... ewwww.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

scented "re-gift" candles!!!!! 

and roosters!!! (although that was my fault I collected them way back when and incorporated my most colorful ones into my decor and told people I liked them....BIG MISTAKE..every bday, holiday &  more I get another!  Just finally had to say "thanks" but "no thanks"...

Not that I'm not appreciative but honestly its time for the no-gift policy among good friends as I have all I need!

I always appreciate a card with hand written note -- those I enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Please don't give me anything that plugs in unless I specifically ask for it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

scented "re-gift" candles!!!!! 

and roosters!!! (although that was my fault I collected them way back when and incorporated my most colorful ones into my decor and told people I liked them....BIG MISTAKE..every bday, holiday &  more I get another!  Just finally had to say "thanks" but "no thanks"...

Not that I'm not appreciative but honestly its time for the no-gift policy among good friends as I have all I need!

I always appreciate a card with hand written note -- those I enjoy!

@homedecor1 I had to laugh at this! My niece collects roosters/chickens, and she has bought and been given so many she doesn't have room for a single rooster more - but *she* keeps buying them, even so. And I got her roosters for her birthday. But I'm roostered-out now!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Scented hand sanitizer and hand cream-ugh!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Believe me I'm not UNappreciative for more roosters its just I've run out of room...I think its taken over ever shelf, etc.  I mean my friend traveled to Maine and brought me back a small rooster stamped Maine!!!  

I've supposed downsized ... yea right! 

I see beautiful colorful ones and I have to keep walking because honestly they call my name -- as bad as Christmas decor (or any type of home decor for that matter!)

I do appreciate the friendship these girls give me and their thoughtfulness but my sons & DILs & Niece certainly do not want more stuff to sell at my "estate sale"...LOL

Esteemed Contributor

One of the funniest gifts I received from a coworker was an ugly white ceramic jug (tea pot?) with a lid, in the shape of an angel's head.  They sell them at dollar stores.

The funny part was that she had neglected to take out of the box the to/from card from when she received it as a gift.  I was happy to see that it had been regifted to me because I felt no guilt when I tossed it in the trash.