Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT CHARITIES PICK UP FURNITURE?

@haddon9 wrote:

I've been frustrated with the furniture removal process too.  Yes many places like a charity or garbage removal will want you to bring it to the curb....some charities just won't take it.  You might have luck with someone like a college student who wouldn't mind old stuff but I didn't.

I decided to do the easy thing for me when I got rid of my old living room furniture over the summer. I called 1800 Got Junk.  They aren't cheap but they come on time and will let you know half an hour before they arrive, are very polite & professional.

@haddon9 Doesn't 1800 Got Junk give a estimate first. I called and I think that is what she said. If the estimate is too high you can opt out. I need some stuff removed, and will probably use them. 

Honored Contributor

When my BIL passed away years ago, we had to prepare the house for sale. First off, they do not take upholstered furniture. And they are picky about the furniture, any signs of use, they reject. 

I was very disappointed with them. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I called Salvation Army because they have their own trucks.

I gave them a list of what I had and they gave me a date they were coming.  Came into the house and it was all gone.

I don't understand why they would say "no",

I had all nice stuff and when I called local charities, they all said I had to deliver.   

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I called Salvation Army because they have their own trucks.

I gave them a list of what I had and they gave me a date they were coming.  Came into the house and it was all gone.

I don't understand why they would say "no",

I had all nice stuff and when I called local charities, they all said I had to deliver.   

@Just Bling  I had a smaller section of a wall unit which had glass doors and a cabinet below. The Salvation Army pick up guy said yes he would take it as it was nice. Then he took out the shelves and said the shelves weren't real wood and he couldn't take it. He then said he would take it because the cabinet itself was so nice and most of it was real wood. I didn't realize they were so fussy. 

Valued Contributor

I have also had resort to Got Junk.  Live in Chicago suburb and could find no one to come into condo Unit   to pick up.  Had to be at curb.  Not easy for two 80 year olds to get the couch to the curb.

Respected Contributor

I had a large sofa that was in excellent condition and most of the charities that I called wouldn't come and take it.  Then I called Catholic charities and they came the next day and were thrilled with the sofa.  They sponsor immigrating families coming into the State who have next to nothing.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't find anyone who wanted used furniture--had to call the 'got junk' guys to come get it--they will donate it if it is in good shape but who knows---but they do break it all down and recycle as much as can be done--I tried advertising as free but no takers-- I was ready for new stuff--made me sad to see it go --was in excellent shape--both sofas----but they were old and the material was kind of fou fou-----meaning not a  neutral color----the "got junk" guys will load it up themselves so no moving to the curb--if this kind of thing gets wet, it  automatically goes to the dump.

Valued Contributor

Every state and depending on your city also depends who, what & where your options are! So there won't be a one size fits all answer to a question like this.

My area is fortunate to have multiple charities-most won't do "stairs" for liability or want it taken to the curb/out the front door at least. Some charities will accept furniture if you bring it to them. 1800junk (and other similar paid junk services) is expensive & you're paying for the convenience of them taking stuff from wherever in your home, including stairs, if you just want things gone & don't mind paying a premium price.

If you have neighborhood online communities there are options also to advertise for sale or I'd anyone would want your stuff for free if they haul away or paying an individual who takes furniture.

If you can get to a curb with a free sign you can get rid of furniture if your city allows. Some cities have pick up days that will haul anything you put at the curb for trash.

Millions of options!

I've personally put things at the curb that we're gone in a few hours max! I have had charities pick up inside (pre covid) & outside my home. I've sold some pieces on neighborhood sites. I've taken some smaller pieces to a reseller charity store. I had a piano removed by a junk company I couldn't give away for free & needed hundreds of dollars in repairs I didn't want to spend to fix. I have about 5 pieces in my garage I'm figuring out what to do with right now, but least they're out of the "living" part of my home!!
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
My community has a furniture bank. They clean and refurbish used furniture fo those in need.

What a great idea!

Super Contributor

Great site to search for charity that will pick up your donations:

http://donationtown.org/

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller