Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT AUTHORS HAVE YOU ""GIVEN UP"" ON?

Patricia Cornwell - Her books got too dark and weird for me several books ago.

James Patterson - I agree with others that the quality started to suffer when he began branding books rather than writing them.

Janet Evanovich - I gave up Ms. Plum after about book #10; the plots were just too silly.

John Grisham - I liked his first four books, but haven't liked anything since.

Stephen King - I haven't liked anything he's written much since The Stand.

Stuart Woods - I agree that the Stone Barrington series is stale.

Sometimes, I will like one series from an author, but not a different series from the same author. That's how I feel about Margaret Maron, Mary Daheim and Nelson DeMille. So, I pick and choose which of their books I read, although I'm giving up Mary Daheim completely. I still read Clive Cussler's books, excepting the Isaac Bell series, but I agree that the research behind the plots has gotten very sloppy as has the copyediting.

Valued Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Vamp said:

I stopped reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series after about #12 or so. I loved the first 10 books, but it lost its magic for me.

Me too - same old stuff

Trusted Contributor

Anne Rivers Siddons - I pretty much loved them all until Burnt Mountain. Or maybe it was the ending of Off Season. Thought I loved that one until the ""what the ....?"" ending.

Jodi Picoult

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Valued Contributor

Jodi Picoult (too dark) Danielle Steel Stephen King I'm still looking at a good replacement for my beloved Maeve Binchey, but so far, no luck.
Esteemed Contributor

I used to like Anne Rice. I love the early vampire novels and the books about the witch family in New Orleans, but then it seemed like over time, she was trying to top herself in the "graphic" department.

It was the book Taltos that really turned me off Rice.

Then someone gave me an copy of the first book in the Sleeping Beauty series. I didn't realize they were Anne Rice's at first because she wrote them under a pseudonym (for which I don't blame her).

I read several chapters and gave it up. For me, it was just too trashy (of course, this is all just my opinion).

I am not crazy about Nicholas Sparks either. Message in a Bottle made me so mad. I would like my money and time spent back on that one, LOL. Again, just my opinion, I know a lot of others like him very much.

Regular Contributor

Jodi Picoult. She used to be one of my favorites if not my favorite but I read her last books hoping she had written a really good book but now I know for sure I will not try to read anything else she writes. Too bad as her earlier books were really exceptional I thought.(

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Trusted Contributor

On 1/1/2015 lainey said:

Another vote for Janet Evanovich - I stop reading them around book 16. They are just too silly and the same old thing in each book.

Also stopped reading James Patterson. He really doesn't write his own books anymore, always seems to have a co-author. His books seem to lack any real storyline in them anymore.

And another vote for Janet Evanovich; they're just ridiculous. Joe vs. Ranger? At this point, who cares?

I'm a Clive Cussler fan, but have to agree with sfnative that they are not what they used to be; I was a big Dirk Pitt fan. Same with Stephen King, I think, and I used to be a big King fan.

Why is it that many authors are pairing up with somebody else? Or is the "somebody else" actually doing the writing and the author loaning his/her name out for publicity and/or money? James Patterson is one who does this. Clive Cussler is another one. And I noticed several by Janet Evanovich and somebody else. I think the quality of writing has gone way downhill for all of these authors. What's the purpose behind this practice? Does anybody know?

Trusted Contributor

When I first saw the title of this thread, the name "Patricia Cornwell" immediately popped into my mind. Her early books were so fantastic, but lately, what a disappointment. I agree with almost all of the authors already listed, but I still enjoy Laura Levine and usually, Janet Evanovich. Her new series with Lee Goldberg is really cute. James Patterson is very hit-and-miss lately, but his books with Maxine Paetro are usually good. Linda Fairstein's recent books have been so loaded with New York history, which is not of great interest to me. In the cozy mystery category, I have given up Cleo Coyle's coffeehouse mysteries and Joanna Carl's Chocoholic mysteries. In the suspense genre, I have given up Stephen White and in Romance, Sherryl Woods. There are also many "borderline" authors whom I keep reading out of past affection for their books. It is the rare author that can keep producing quality book after book, for years at a time.
Honored Contributor

I'll always like the stephanie plum books. Maybe I haven't grown up like stephanie. I like the same cast, different murder, and all the quirky people and joe and ranger and especially grandma mazur. I don't want her to change a thing. why would I want to change something I liked in the first place? sorry my caps key is being very fickle today. Kinda like me.

Super Contributor

Danielle Steel

Sandra Brown

John Grisham