Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT AUTHORS HAVE YOU ""GIVEN UP"" ON?

Thanks to all of you I think you did all the authors for me! Tess Gressian ( sorry re:spelling)
Respected Contributor

I have stopped reading James Patterson. He outlines a story, then has someone else write it. He is very honest though. He has made a statement to the effect that he wants to make more money than any other author, ever. Looks like he is succeeding. A lot of people still like and buy the books with his name on the cover. I also have stopped reading books by Patricia Cornwell. Some of the more recent ones have been so dark and brooding. Sadly , the last book I read by Harlan Coben, Missing, was a huge disappointment. I wonder if he is going the way of James Patterson. If so, I will no longer read books by him. Janet Evanovich and John Grisham are pretty predictable with their formulas, so don't read much by them anymore. I do think when Evanovich co-writes with Lee Goldberg the books are better.

Regular Contributor

I give up on Janet Evanovich every time a new Stephanie Plum book is published. I instantly remember how good the first books were and how terrible the latest books have been and VOW to not read the new release. Then I wonder if she all the sudden found her comedic roots and look at the book in the grocery store. Then I VOW to not buy it, so I check out the wait list at the library, get annoyed with how many people are on it, then check the price on Amazon. Then I VOW not buy it when it's expensive and wait for it to get cheaper… Then I get weak and buy it with a gift card that someone else gave me (so I don't actually buy it myself or spend my own money on it!) I read it all at once, counting the times I smile or chuckle, hoping for a belly laugh and then VOW to not read another book by her again… It's a painful cycle. But her last romp with Plum was actually good, so there is hope...

Respected Contributor

On 4/23/2015 SparklesMcGee said:

I give up on Janet Evanovich every time a new Stephanie Plum book is published. I instantly remember how good the first books were and how terrible the latest books have been and VOW to not read the new release. Then I wonder if she all the sudden found her comedic roots and look at the book in the grocery store. Then I VOW to not buy it, so I check out the wait list at the library, get annoyed with how many people are on it, then check the price on Amazon. Then I VOW not buy it when it's expensive and wait for it to get cheaper… Then I get weak and buy it with a gift card that someone else gave me (so I don't actually buy it myself or spend my own money on it!) I read it all at once, counting the times I smile or chuckle, hoping for a belly laugh and then VOW to not read another book by her again… It's a painful cycle. But her last romp with Plum was actually good, so there is hope...

Every time I say I'm not going to read the next one I do and am disappointed. Maybe that's why haven't read #21 yet but did put #22 on my tbr list. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Honored Contributor

Daniel Desilva

Diane Mott Davidson

Dorothea Benton Frank

among others. . .