Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE ETHNIC FOODS?

We are so full from lunch that we really aren't eating dinner!  We are just going to enjoy some chocolate chip ice cream in honor of National Ice Cream day along with a piece of apple pie (Marie Callendar's) I enjoyed this visit!!

Honored Contributor

That reminds me I have Haagen-Dazs in the freezer!
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like spicy foods; my favorites right now are Indian and Thai, probably because these cuisines are not very good where I live in So. Fl--very watered down.  So when I travel to places with a broader range of such restaurants, I will choose Thai and Indian.  Chinese is actually terrible where I live, too, so when I was in San Francisco last year, I took all my solo meals in Chinatown. . .and was sooo happy.

The best food I've ever had while traveling was in Mexico City, which has a cuisine very different from Tex-Mex, but lovely and sophisticated.

But I like Italian, Polish, and other cusines, too.  In New England, I usually stick to simply prepared cold-water fish.  Also unavailable in SE F in top form.  The tropical fish live in warmer waters and taste very different to me.  One fish native to this area, pompano, I would walk a mile for, but it is very very seldom seen on a menu.  Delis like Zabars call their smoked pompano "butterfish," but it's even better fresh.

Living here has made me a fairly good home cook, just in self defence.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Moonchilde, it is so weird to open this thread because for the past week I have been obsessed thinking about our childhood nanny. She was Portuguese from Maccau. She had ten children.  She managed to get to America during the war. (II). Her children remained there.

She made what we called Ladis' pot roast that was made with round roast simmered with wonderul herbs and scotch. It was heaven. We ate it with noodles. I have to search for the recipe. Haven't made it in years.

I grew up in the San Francisco area so have loved all foods! I think the only foods that I have never acquired a taste for are kimchi and poi.

Honored Contributor

hennypenny, the reason I learned so much about Portugese Chinese from Macau is that this woman (a co-worker years ago) mentioned a very popular and handsome local newscaster. She said that because of his name, people assumed he was Hispanic, but he was actually Portugese Chinese from Macau as she was, and her family was friends with his. She was a great cook - and just barely 5 feet tall.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian and Moroccan

I so want to go to Morocco one day

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Trusted Contributor

I enjoy many ethnic cuisines, but my favorites are Indian and Ethiopian. 

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Speaking of Mexican, and yes, I realize Taco Bell is not Mexican, but they are now offering DELIVERY service in various cities Woman Surprised

ewwww

Nothing improves Taco Bell's fare than being stone coldCat LOL

Honored Contributor

my favorites......in no particular order......

Persian

Chinese

Italian

Indian

....someone else mentioned american comfort foods.....and i wholeheartedly agree if that is considered "ethnic". i love meatloaf, pot roast, mac n cheese, stews, fried chicken. i am also a big fan of seafood, especially if i am near the ocean or bay and i know it is super fresh.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:
That reminds me I have Haagen-Dazs in the freezer!

One of my favorite pseudo ethnic foods.