Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT A SAD BUT LOVELY DAY IN MEMORY OF GEORGE H W BUSH

[ Edited ]

Out of respect for the 41st President of the United States and to honor his vast contributions to our country during his lifetime, and consistent with the Presidential Proclamation, the United States Postal Service will suspend regular mail deliveries, retail services and administrative office activity on Dec. 5.

http://postalnews.com/blog/2018/12/03/usps-to-suspend-mail-delivery-retail-services-on-wednesday-day...

Oh no ... no mail~!

Normally I would say this is a wonderful tribute, but not this time.  On Dec. 5, my neighbor is turning age 67.    On Friday, she was just diagnosed with breast cancer, so I was trying to think of a way to cheer her up on her birthday.  I thought, great, she will love the surprise card w/gift certificate I just mailed her (to arrive on Dec. 5.)   

What a surprise that will be to get it a day late ~ wish this news would have been known sooner! 

Edit to say:  (I know it's out of respect for GHWB.)

Honored Contributor

It is inspiring to see that it is possible to not agree with someone's politics, but have deep respect for them as a dignified human being.  Everything about that family is to be admired even if one's political opinions differ.

Honored Contributor

Bush 41 lived an extremely privileged life, but didn't let it show. I never even noticed when he was president and that's because he was trust worthy and put the people first, all people.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Sully

Sully, the service dog of George Herbert Walker Bush.

oh my gosh, I broke down and sobbed my eyes out over this photo...

@fourpaws56......it tore me up too.

Also tore me up when I saw Sully was going on the plane too.  Loved the picture of President Clinton, President Bush, and Sully.  Got a kick out of President Bush's socks.  He was one great companion.....Heart

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Out of respect for the 41st President of the United States and to honor his vast contributions to our country during his lifetime, and consistent with the Presidential Proclamation, the United States Postal Service will suspend regular mail deliveries, retail services and administrative office activity on Dec. 5.

http://postalnews.com/blog/2018/12/03/usps-to-suspend-mail-delivery-retail-services-on-wednesday-day...

Oh no ... no mail~!

Normally I would say this is a wonderful tribute, but not this time.  On Dec. 5, my neighbor is turning age 67 on Dec. 5.     On Friday, she was just diagnosed with breast cancer, so I was trying to think of a way to cheer her up on her birthday.  I thought, great, she will love the surprise card w/gift certificate I just mailed her (to arrive on Dec. 5.)   

What a surprise that will be to get it a day late ~ wish this news would have been known sooner!

@seaBreeze.....bet your friend will fully understand why it arrives a day late.....  No delivery is being done out of respect to the President.  You can give your friend a call to wish her a happy birthday....

Honored Contributor

Tomorrow will be another tough sad day.  

Honored Contributor

Was just watching the changing of the guard in the rotunda on  CNN.....so very hard to watch.  It really is beautiful to see.....but sad.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Bush 41 lived an extremely privileged life, but didn't let it show. I never even noticed when he was president and that's because he was trust worthy and put the people first, all people.

@blackhole99  That is a nice post and makes you stop and think!  When you lead a privileged life, it makes you a better person. Privilege isn't about money.  It's about how you are raised and the human being you are and pass along. It's about doing something with whatever you have as I see it.

Honored Contributor

I felt so sorry for the family yesterday.  George W. looked simply devastated.  I have never seen him look just lost.  I am sure this is a great loss for him.  Mother and Dad, both so beloved and so close, in such a short time.  

All of the family looked so sad.  Laura looked like she was almost holding George up. 

Respected Contributor

The picture of Sully, laying in front of President Bush's casket, was absolutely heartbreaking!  All the coverage has been very good, and was fascinating to watch them bring his casket into the Capitol last night; such precision.  The military honors were wonderful, as usual.